Friday, December 23, 2022

A Busy Day

 Yesterday was a sunny day which I loved. The high got to 1.4C and it was basically dead calm. This morning it is -4C and we are to have heavy rains, high winds, and a high of 10C. This storm should be over by tonight. 

Lifestyle

I was out grocery shopping early and as home by just after 8 a.m. It was busier than it use to be during the pandemic but it was real busy. People were shopping and getting ready for Christmas. 

Once home, the fun began. Son texted me to ask if I'd been shopping. Then he let me know daughter-in-law and grandson were still in Alberta. Their flight had been cancelled as they were short one cabin staff. The plane flew to Nova Scotia empty. They sat in the airport all night hoping to be rescheduled. Did Not Happen. They won't be home until Dec. 28. 

I went over to see Son and we planned. We will celebrate Christmas after Dec. 28 but are still having people over as planned. At 2 pm we headed out to shop in New Minas. We got everything we needed in 3 stores and it took only 30 minutes. The stores were real busy which was helpful.

I was tired last night but it was a contented tired. I relaxed and slept well which was what I needed. With the storm coming in, I needed a good night's sleep. 

Sewing

The umbrellas for the parasol arrived yesterday afternoon. I checked the fit and was a bit worried. 

My crocheted parasol was a bit bigger than I wanted it to be. I proceeded with a plan in my head. I cut off the green fabric and then worried about loosing the green tips which fell off. I hand sewed them onto the proper place on the crocheted parasol and put it back on the frame. 

It was a bit big and the edging kept turning upwards. I was worried but proceeded to put it under hot running water and leave it sit overnight. It has a better fit as it shrunk and the edges aren't curling up as I kept smoothing them down. The next step is to spray starch it and leave it to dry once I have it looking the way I want it to. Pictures will come when that is done. If I am not happy with the end result, I will wet it down again, roll it in a towel and throw it in the dryer to shrink it more. That is plan B.
Knitting

I didn't get down to the sewing room yesterday as I was too busy. I will get down there after Christmas as I don't have much time until Boxing Day. 

The pattern of the sweater/coat I am knitting baffles me at times. I read, reread, knit, unknit and finally get it. Once I got the decreasing done, it has been fairly easy sailing with only a couple of issues that I corrected easily. 

I have about an inch left to knit and then I will be casting off to add the sleeves. It has been a faster knit than I thought it would be. 

Thoughts

    There are a lot of storms hitting North America this Christmas and there are a lot of people stranded at airports. The first Christmas people can travel and we learn that Mother Nature is going to make it hard on them. I would hate to be travelling by car this year due to the weather. 

    Our first Christmas without the Spousal Unit is certainly not going to be the typical one we had planned. It is okay as we are thinking about other things as we head towards Christmas Eve. I will open my gifts from daughter on Christmas morning and let her know that I did that. 

Today

I have to cook the eggs for devilled eggs shortly. I have to be out for a hair cut and physio this morning and then will do the devilled eggs when I get home. I also have to stop at the grocery store on my way home and take son to another store this afternoon. When I slow down, I will knit tonight. I don't think I will have time to starch the parasol but if I do I will try to get that job done. I have checked everything to make sure all is good for the storm and have a plan if the power goes out. It is going to be warm so I'm not worried about being cold. I will park the car outside so it is accessible if I need to use it. 

Until the next time................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment