Sunday, July 04, 2021

Disappearing Four Patch Block

 Yesterday was cool with a high of 15C. It didn't rain but misted once in a while. This morning it is 12C and we are to have periods of rain and a high of 14C. 

Lifestyle

What started out as removing the Roman shade from the kitchen window ended up being a marathon job. I cleaned the window which included getting rid of the black mold, dirt and what ever else was around. It was vacuumed, bleached, and scrubbed both inside and outside (in the mist). I clamored around the sink trying to get it done and succeeded.

I moved on to looking at the Roman shade. I hate it but it will do the job until I can get something new to replace it with. Twelve of the rings that hold the string were broken due to the sun making them brittle. I fixed all of them and put the blind back up. It works for now but doesn't look very pretty. The job took all morning to do. While I was doing it, a load of laundry was also done. 

I am not a big fan of these windows and will have to clean them thoroughly again before it gets cold. The mold loves to grow behind the latches and it's hard to get rid of. Opening the windows and laying the bottom slider out horizontally is the best way to get all the mold killed and removed. It is the humidity here that causes the issue and one I need to keep up on. 

I cooked pork chops on the BBQ last night. I brined them and it really helped keep them moist while cooking. They also had a great flavor. 

This past week, I lost 1.5 lbs for a total of 40.8 lbs. I've been tracking what I eat for 6 months now. I am getting close to my first big goal of which I will reset once I meet it. 

There were 8 cases of the virus reported yesterday. I'm sure we will see this happen all summer. 

Sewing

I got the snaps on the Spousal Unit's shirt. It's ready for the laundry as it is stiff from being starched. Though I had a few issues with the snaps, it wasn't as bad as other times. I tried t a new plan of marking all the under snaps on the button band, putting in one and then laying the upper band on top and marking for that part of the snap. It worked for me. 

I rushed to make a Dissappearing 4 Patch block. One should never rush when sewing. It sort of worked out in my favor but I need to think about each step so the seams are going the right way. Yes, I pressed the seams to one side this time. 

The block was to measure 8.5" square and it was short of that plus it looked a mess. I trimmed it back to 8" square which works perfect for this doll's quilt. 

I took the picture of it sideways. I was in a rush. I need to pay attention to which way the seams go as there are a few that are wrong. I plan on pressing to the print. I really see all the mistakes I made.

Each block will have a 1.5" sash all the way around it. Something new to try as I saw it on a video. That will keep the blocks separate for this quilt and it makes it the right size. 

Knitting

I worked on the doll's sweater last night and got the body done. I quite like this yarn.

I now need to find the needles for the sleeves. I go up a size to knit them in the round. 

Today

 I have to fold laundry and then I'm free to sew. I would love to get the 5 big patches done and ready for sashing. Tonight I will knit the sleeves on the sweater. It's an inside day with the rain.

Until the next time.................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment