Tuesday, July 27, 2021

I Need To Keep Practicing Quilting

 Though not hot at 25C, it feels hot as we are having warm nights (18C) for the past couple of days. Also the humidity makes 25C feel like 32C. Today is suppose to get to 27C and we could have showers today. 

Lifestyle

On Sunday I did June's budget (I'm late) and was happy to have it done. Remove travel restrictions and we restocked groceries and bought plants and gardening items. When I looked at the amount of groceries we have stocked piled, I knowingly bought less in July to use it up. We are continuing on the trend again in August and will buy only what we need. I need to see lots of bare spots in the pantry and on the shelving unit in the basement. 

Yesterday we were out to get apples. We asked about fall garlic and nematodes. We can get both at the store in September. Once home, we rested as the heat was wearing on us. 

There was one new case of the virus reported for 3 days. There are 13 active cases in the province. 

Sewing

I finished one half of the doll's quilt and buried all the threads. When I started the bottom half, I made a mistake and had to rip it out. I also ripped out some of the stitching on the row above. I fixed the mistake, buried more threads, and quit. I was really upset with myself for the stupidity but I guess it happens to all of us at one time or another. I just need to keep practicing.

I got the preliminary measuring done for the two 12" squares I want to make and, at this time, I only have to buy .75 meter of one fabric. It may go up to 1 meter when I figure out the potholders. I have the rest of the materials needed for the projects. The most time consuming part will be the straight line quilting on the squares. 

I have thought quite a bit about pressing seams on quilts. For piecing most items I will be pressing the seams open. But, where I want to stitch in the ditch, I will press the seams to one side. When I make the squares I will press to the dark side. 

Knitting

I knit on the hat and I'm not sure if I like it. It is sitting looking at me as I have to change over to double pointed needles to decrease. I will probably do it and before I cast off, show it to daughter for her opinion. With the heat and humidity, I've really slowed down on knitting. I will get back to it again when it cools off. 

Today

I have laundry to do, budget to finish, and I want to work on the doll's quilt. I have to check on the garlic and remove more dirt off the roots as it dries. I will knit tonight. 

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment