Sunday, July 25, 2021

Birthday Dinner and Many Home Dec Thoughts

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day with a high of 24.4C. This morning it was 12C at 6 a.m. and there was lots of dew. We are to have sunshine and 25C today and some showers tonight. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday was all about getting the Spousal Unit's birthday dinner made. I started the morning off cleaning the kitchen and getting my list organized. 

The prime rib was taken out and rubbed with oil and garlic and sprinkled with a delicious rub. It sat on the counter for 4 hours to warm up and let the flavors of the rub get into the meat.

I put the prime rib onto the BBQ at about 2:30 pm and baby sat it for 3 hours. I keep the temperature at 250F by turning burners off and on each side and cooking it over indirect heat. The last bit I turn the back burner on and heat the BBQ to 45 and brown off the meat. It then comes off, get covered with foil and sits for 30 minutes. It was cooked to perfection and tender. I had less struggles with the heat this year due to turning on the BBQ a few minutes before I put the meat on by lighting only 1 burner and putting it on low.

The picture was taken half way through the cooking process. 

In the morning, our neighbor came over for a visit and we enjoyed it very much. The lawn people came and sprayed for cinch bugs and showed us the bugs plus a lovely larva we have eating our grass. And after lunch, I got the ice cream cake for dinner. 

Dinner was wonderful with roasted veggies made by daughter-in-law. We visited for quite a while after dinner which was lovely. 

I lost 2 lbs this week and am .2 lb from my first big goal. 

We are no longer getting updates on the number of new cases on the weekend. They will be added to Monday's information. Briefings will become less frequent and community vaccine clinics will be closing down. Vaccines will be available at pharmacies and, what I'm assuming, medical clinics. The mobile vaccine clinics will also be going to small communities. The province is moving towards Phase 5 of the reopening plan - the new normal of living during Covid. 

I did no sewing or knitting yesterday but I've been thinking about the house. I'm trying to put together a plan to get the upstairs done but I need to finish the basement first. 

The basement needs to have the bathroom completed by:

  • Painting the wall we had to repair from my oops with the toilet paper holder

  • Installing the toilet paper holder

  • Hanging the pictures - found out how to do that.

  • Cleaning the room (once again)

I also need to paint a small patch on the wall in the sewing room and clean the family room. When I get white paint for the upstairs trim, I will do the ledge in the family room. But, I can hang the pictures in that room. I will also sand a little table and get it ready to prime and paint when it's cooler. It is to go into the downstairs bathroom.

When the weather cools off, I can start painting upstairs, one room at a time. I need to get the spare room cleaned before any of that can happen. Another project for August. 

There is quite a bit to make over the next couple of years. I'm looking at it room by room and what will be useful to us in the years to come and what we can do to update for resale when the time comes. 

I've also been thinking about the Christmas fabric in the stash and how I'm going to sew it up. Do I need soup bowl cozies? Or can the fabric be used for something else in the house at Christmas time. How many placemats do I need? Six vs 12.

I also have a woodland theme fabric and I need to sew it up. Will it be okay in the basement or will I make items and gift them to daughter for her basement. 

I guess I will be over thinking the Christmas fabric once again but I'm happy to have it to sew it. 

Today

I'm doing the budget this morning, digging garlic in the after lunch, hopefully sewing and knitting. A quiet day at home. 

Until the next time..............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment