Friday, January 04, 2019

Sewing Some Each Day

We have had snow, then warmer weather, and now it is cold. This morning it was -7C; our coolest morning for a while was yesterday at -17C. The upside - no wind. 

Lifestyle

The heat pumps were replaced Wednesday and what a difference it makes having larger ones in the house. It is actually warm in here. We didn't realize how cool the house was until the new one almost roasted us out of the house. 

Sewing

I made a reusable grocery bag over Jan. 1 and 2. It is a sports themed one that is different. 
I bought thread to do a rolled hem on a cowboy rag for Daughter. 
I chose the variegated thread to add a subtle amount of color to the scarf as it is plain. With the larger spools being a dollar each, I could splurge and buy one spool of more expensive thread. 
I have been working on a course called Design Academy and found out it doesn't start until Feb. 1. I have been looking at proportion and have learned quite a bit. The biggest thing to look for is the thirds. One third/two thirds is the most pleasing look when aiming for proportion. The size of details and print are also important. 

  • I automatically play with proportion when sewing. A ribbon at the waist of a dress, a small knit bolero, top length, skirt length are something I look at when I design an outfit. 
  • What prints look the best on the doll. What is the largest print I can get for a specific look. Plaids, pleats, tucks, etc. are really important. 
  • I pass by outfits that are not proportionally pleasing. I see why some outfits don't sell easily and others are gone before you can look at it a second time. 
I will be thinking more about proportion as I look for inspiration pictures and will be applying it to what I sew. I will have a few pictures to print off to put into my sketch book. 

Knitting

I picked up the needles Wednesday night and worked on another messy bun hat. I got it half done and love how it looks. 
The silver metallic thread really shines in real life. I hope it will be done tomorrow night. 
Today
It is house cleaning day. I need to sweep, wash floors, do laundry, and a lot more. If it takes until Sunday to complete, I'm fine with that. I also want to sew on a doll's t-shirt. I have the pieces starched stiff in hopes they won't stretch when I sew them. 
Until the next time............................

No comments:

Post a Comment