Sunday, January 13, 2019

Messy Bun Hat Fiasco

We are having some cooler weather. Yesterday's low was -12C and today it is -11C. The high temperature yesterday was -9C compared to 17C a year ago. Today, the sun is shining. 

Lifestyle

Home

Yesterday I went to Sackville to do the grocery shopping. That was all I did as we needed nothing else. The trip home was a reminder of driving in the north. Flurries and wind had the snow whipping across the highway, something I saw a lot of in the north. 

Health

I got out the measuring spoons and cups and have been using them quite a bit. The scales are down today and I'm hoping that will be my Wednesday loss. 
Dinner last night was ribs. I used a mix on them and baked them for 90 minutes in the oven. Delicious. We will have the left overs on Monday and left over roast from today on Tuesday. 
The Spousal Unit is doing well on the puzzle. He has been working on the inside part. I help when I have a few minutes. He has it about 1/4 done as of last night. 

Sewing

I am working on my stitching sampler for Couture Sewing Academy. While working on it, I have come to realize the running/basting stitch is a useful one when putting together items like velvet and lining. I also did a very tiny running stitch on the top of the pleats of the doll's kilt I made. I hope that I will slow down and do more of these stitches when sewing doll clothes. 
The first bag I made has new drawstring ties made from fabric. They are perfect. The second bag has been turned and needs about an hour of work to finish it off. Then it will be starting the third bag. 
I love a good starting point for a doll's outfit. This one is no longer available but I saved it anyways. 
As I look at it, it has the 1/3, 2/3rds proportion. When I look next, I see added detail that is in correct proportion to the size of the doll; the ruffles. The starting point for me is jeans, t-shirt with crystals on the neckline, and some sort of short sweater. There is a knit sweater similar to this one which has a lacy pattern. But, it could be a short sweater that has details added to it. I'll be working on this one. 

Knitting

The earth tone hat is too big. I am thinking they are all too big. I am not sure and started to research. I have no record of the first hats I knit Daughter but I think I may have picked up a size smaller needle. I hit the internet and after an extensive search I found out that my hats are probably 2" too big around. They need to stretch some to fit well. I have started a jeans colored hat in a smaller size and will keep an eye on it. If it fits better I know it is the right size, if not, I'm going down a needle size. When I know what I am doing, I will rip out the other hats and start again. 
Hat Calculator was very helpful as was Knitting Math 101.

Today

I have a bit of housework, laundry, and budget to work on and then it is sewing and knitting. My day off from the housework. 
Until the next time.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment