Monday, September 10, 2018

Fabric Packing - Failure

This morning was another cool one. 3C at 6 a.m. It is suppose to get to 20C and be sunny. We need to enjoy it as we get rain tomorrow. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday I focused on maintaining the bedroom and bathroom. It included

  • making the bed
  • dusting the furniture
  • wiping the bathroom 
  • checking to see if anything major needed to be done. (nothing)
I then set about controlling the clutter in the kitchen and dining room. 
  • cleared off the counter tops and disinfected them. That was two trips to the recycling bags in the garage.
  • put all the papers on the table that needed to be dealt with and did it. The budget and bullet journal are complete and all the unnecessary papers have gone to recycling. 
  • The table was totally cleaned and disinfected. 
  • Put dishes in the dishwasher and did a general tidy up twice. 
It felt so good to see the kitchen and dining room tidy. Yes, there is a bin for the budget on a stool. I need to figure out how to deal with them. As I looked around the room last night admiring the neatness this morning and

I HUNG MY HEAD IN SHAME

I didn't empty the compost bin yesterday.
I didn't do it immediately when I saw it 
and
I forgot about it three times. 
But, I remembered these that a good friend posted:


  • Focus on your goals 
  • Don't look in any direction but ahead
I'm still a slob and I will continue to forget and make mistakes. 

Sewing

I laundered the fabric I bought and got it ironed and draped over a chair. It is drying from spraying it. 
And the chair is now in the family room as I started to remove items from said room. 
The sewing room was suppose to be decluttered yesterday afternoon. I did great to start with. Out went the memory book items into the mechanical room. I will deal with it this winter. One day a week will be set aside to get memory books done. It is neat and tidy in their respective tubs.  
Embroidery machine hoops went out. They are on the picture boxes. When returned, they will be hung on a peg board. I've done this before and it worked well for me. 
Two computers still reside on the corner desk. But the desk got dusted. One positive, one negative. 
Onto the fabric. The stash is to go into a tub and two boxes. As of last night, not one piece got put into the tub or boxes. I did handle all the quilting cottons I had on the shelves. I went down memory lane. I told myself what I want to make out of all the yardage in those piles. 
Sewing/crafting is my hobby. I love it and I have downsized it. I let a couple of areas grow due to moving and knowing it will be hard to get items at an excellent price. I have a goal of sewing 50 meters this year. I am just shy of sewing 30 meters. 20 meters to go. Has it made a dent in the stash. No. I bought 9 meters this past week so I have 29 meters to sew before the end of the year. Will I get it done? I have to. No ifs, ands, or buts. It is now a commitment that leaves me neither happy or angry. It made me think a lot as I looked for a pattern to use up some green/black soccer fabric. That fabric is not going back on the shelf. I found the pattern and can tackle the project when I have a minute.
This morning on my Pinterest search, I found this quote from Peter Walsh. 


“If you choose a craft or hobby, then make sure it's something you really enjoy. Do it because you want to, not because others expect it of you or because it's something you once liked or because you don't want those materials you bought to go to waste. just as you should choose the life you want, it's also your choice how you spend your free time.” 

What I want to do is sew, knit, and do some jewelry for the dolls. What I don't want is the stash to languish in tubs or on shelves. I want to see it in pretty things I have been dreaming of doing. What is my priority so I can have the "less is more" in that room. I need to focus on what I want it to look like not only in appearance but in scheduling what I do. This is not to be my only free time. Until I get a handle on what I need to do to reduce the stash (getting rid of it is not an option) it will be my only free time. 

My Focus for the Room


  • It will be a place where I can sew, relax to read and knit
  • There will be little or no stash of any kind in the room. This has been a goal of mine for several years. 
  • Everything will have a place. That means no tubs on the floor waiting for a home. 
  • Storage will be the last item to address for 
    • patterns
    • notions
    • fabric
    • jewelry
I will add more as time goes on. Right now I am thinking storage will be
  • two dressers in the closet. 
  • three rolling storage carts under the cutting table. This is my last option and one I hope I never have to have unless it is for the dolls and their clothes. 
This can all change as I work through the room. What needs to go is the storage shelf I have the fabrics on. That will happen I promise myself. 
And the dolls, well that is another topic. 

Today

I have made the bed and cleaned the bathroom.
Put dishes in dishwasher and started dinner in the crockpot
Swept and washed the kitchen floor.
I'm now off to the basement to put the fabric in the tub and two boxes. Wish me luck. I hope I don't become MIA.
Until the next time.......................



No comments:

Post a Comment