Monday, March 19, 2018

Stretching My Learning

We are still experiencing cool weather. Saturday was snowy with a north wind that went right through you. Yesterday was cool and sunny. It seems to be a bit colder than the normal temperatures. 

Lifestyle

Saturday was Dartmouth shopping day. The Spousal Unit went with son and grandson and bought a lawn mower. It is in the garage waiting for spring to arrive. 
Daughter-in-law and I went shopping. It was a big shopping for me and I will be set for another 6 weeks in some departments. 
We went to Ikea and found their peg board and accessories and I will be buying 2 to 3 peg boards and a bunch of their accessories for in the sewing room. We also looked at their organizers for the bathroom. Will be buying some of those also. 
Yesterday we went to watch grandson play soccer. When we got home last night, we mentioned that we were certainly out a lot the last few days. Very good for us be out and about. 

Sewing

Friday morning I spent sewing snaps and buttons on doll clothes. That job is done and out of my mind. I had put it off until I had enough to spend some quality time with a hand sewing needle. 
I added to the doll's stash by buying leggings and t-shirts from Walmart. The fabric is much nicer to cut and sew than what I can buy in a fabric store. All the items were chosen to go with wardrobes I am planning on sewing. 
Yesterday morning, I cut out leggings for Kate. I chose the capri length for spring and used a pair of children's large leggings. They were sewn up in no time and fit her well. I also cut out capri length leggings for Anna. They are ready to sew when I have an hour. There is enough fabric to cut out one more pair of capri length leggings. 
I bought a few more items to make doll necklaces. I found the pearls I wanted and got them. I also bought two pendants and some beads. 
Anna's favorite pendant was the horse and I made her a necklace. It can be shortened if too long to wear with her outfits. 

Knitting

Kate's white sweater is finished to the button. I have to get buttons for both their sweaters. I am waiting for a few days as I am knitting the short sleeved sweater for the twin set for Anna. 
This sweater has a twist to it. I decided to learn how to knit beads into knitting and thought this would be a good project to start with. It's small and won't use too many beads. I watched a Knit Picks video on knitting beads using a crochet hook. 
I had to figure out where to place the first row both in the row number and the stitches as the pattern has an even number of rows for the front. Once that was done, the second row of beads was easy. The third row was decision making as to add a bead at each end and I didn't. The next biggest decision is when to stop knitting in the beads. I have had the black beads in with my crochet hooks for 4 or 5 years now as I wanted to make a cowl with 800+ beads knit into it. Starting small was the right thing to do and yes I will do the cowl one day but it is a full winter's project. 
I set up a pair of socks for grandson using the left over Edmonton Eskimo's wool. The goal of these socks is to try a new heel idea. I have really stretched in my learning of techniques of knitting this winter. 

Today

Housework needs to be done and then some sewing. It will be cool and windy today so perfect to be inside working.
Until the next time..................

No comments:

Post a Comment