Thursday, March 08, 2018

Many Thoughts on a Snowy Day

The wind has been blowing most of the night and it has brought in snow. It has been snowing for the past couple of hours and it isn't pretty out there. March is being a lion and any spring flowers that were showing their noses will dig back into the ground. 

Thoughts

With the weather being horrid, I decided to let my thoughts wander as I looked at Pinterest and knit the last rows on the doll's messy bun hat.

  • This weather was not a surprise. They have talked about it coming for the past 4-5 days. 
  • We have lived in areas of BC where the wind blew and it snowed in March. Nothing new when it comes to that or me being a wreck with my nerves taut from the  wind. 
  • Sewing is my best friend when the weather is bad. Hiding in the basement and having the TV on helps me relax. I don't see or hear the wind in this basement. 
  • If we don't go out today, we will go out tomorrow. It looks like with snow falling for 4 days, so we will go to the library. Getting out of the house is important when it snows. Keeps cabin fever at bay.

Sewing

Half of the tie blanket is done and it didn't take as long as I had expected it to. I set about in the early afternoon and was done in about an hour. Third side this morning. 
The doll's Easter dresses were printed/traced and I started cutting them out. 

Kate's Dress

As Kate is a model and her clothes will be sold, I chose her Easter outfit carefully. I went through every single pattern I own and finally chose this one. 
The dress on the doll form is the inspiration but the ruffle and placket on the front will not be done. I may add a couple of buttons to the front or it may be left plain. I will let it develop. 
The fabric choices are
Top of dress is top fabric, bottom is flowers. I will knit a white sweater to wear over the dress. 
Kate's dress is 
I will make it shorter, with less buttons (maybe 2). This picture is one in the pattern. The fabric is
This dress will have a black sweater knit to go with it. I'm thinking flower buttons in white on the dress. If I go with black, I can use one on the sweater. 

Doll Clothes Thoughts

I am being encouraged to sell the doll clothes I am making. I would love to and see how it goes. My biggest question is: 
Do I sell individual items, collections, or some of each?

  • Making individual items lets me sew what ever tickles my fancy. I can make several t-shirts and bling them up however I feel like at that moment. Or I can make a dress today, jacket tomorrow, and pants the next day and none have to match. I can sew whatever I want to allow me freedom to choose without worry. 
  • Sewing a collection is mind stretching. It is creativity that requires more thought than doing individual pieces. The putting together of fabrics with a plan in mind is the first element. What fabrics go with the others. Do I add some knitted elements? How will rhinestones enhance or ruin the collection? Should I add footwear? 
  • Making some of each is perfect but can collections be sold individually? Or in 2 pieces or two collections? Having a more cohesive plan allows people to mix and match. Can I lay out an outfit that matches and sell individually and have extras to fill in the missing part? Or do I bundle?
This is an outfit that could be made into a collection. Add a pair of sneakers, a knit jacket, scarf, and hat and you have a collection. Could you sell the outfit and the jacket and hat separate from the t-shirt and leggings? Probably and then give a bit of a break if they buy the 5 pieces. 
As I sew, I will be mulling these thoughts around in my head and planning what I want to make. I will have a piece of paper on the cutting table to write down my ideas as I sew. 

Today

I have housework to do and then tie another side on the blanket and cut out Kate's dress. I will also finish knitting the last messy bun hat and finish the pattern to be sent to the tester. 
Until the next time....................

No comments:

Post a Comment