Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A Very Productive Day

Though yesterday wasn't clear and sunny, the sun did try to shine and make the world brighter. The high got to 5.9C, at what hour I'm not sure as most of the day the temperature was 1C. This morning it is raining and 9C. 

Small History Nova Scotia by Sara Spike

A severe easterly gale has prevailed here for two days. Although the wind is high, this noble sheet of water is almost as peaceful as on a calm day, which goes to show how splendidly sheltered is our much coveted harbor. Shelburne Feb 23, 1898.

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning I got a doctor's appointment for us on Thursday afternoon. After that was taken care of we went to Coldbrook for apples. The Spousal Unit wandered around the store, talked to one of the employees and had a wonderful time. We were home for lunch and after lunch he wandered outside, read his book, and enjoyed our talks. It was a wonderful day for both of us.

The number of confirmed cases is remaining steady. The number in hospitals are remaining the same. There were 3 deaths yesterday which is sad. 

Sewing

The fabrics for the reusable bag.

The first thing I did with the fabrics was to give them a light starching to add some body to them.  

I worked on the reusable bag yesterday. I folded where I wanted the center front is to be and then cut the fabric so I had 40" in width.

I trimmed it so I had 1/4" on the top and 3/8" on the bottom. It was interesting as this was a leftover piece from a project of daughter's. This piece measured 13.25" deep and I wanted a piece that was 20" deep. The width is 40". I cut a piece of black fabric 3.75" deep by 40" wide for the bottom of the bag. 

I interfaced the two pieces with shirtailor interfacing and I carefully sewed them together so the white selvage didn't show. After careful measuring, calculating the 1/4" seam allowances, I cut a piece of golden yellow fabric just over 4". I can't remember the exact measurement but the total less seam allowances had to be 20". It was interfaced and sewn on. From there, I sewed up the bag ready for today. 

The black base does not show at all which was planned. I ended up finding a scrap that had a dog on it and made the button.

The handles and button closure will be gold with black piping. The lining is the gold fabric which I will interface with shirtailor interfacing. I have enough of the border print to add an interior pocket to the bag. In all, it was a good 2 hours in the sewing room. 

My sewing machine is in Windsor and should be delivered around noon. I won't be sewing on it until I finish the bag as I don't switch machines in the middle of a project. 

Knitting

I knit on the socks while I visited with the Spousal Unit in the afternoon and while watching a video last night. The heel flap is done, the heel turned, the gusset stitches picked up and the gusset is now being done. 

When these are completed, I will be shipping the two pairs to daughter and then will start the last pair for her in the heavy yarn. 

I have looked into the yarn bins and I need to keep knitting daily to get it down to a small amount. I know I need to buy wool for socks for son-in-law and grandson but the rest is coming out of the stash. I look forward to knitting it all up now that I don't have testing on my mind for awhile.

Today

We are staying home today due to the weather. I have to do some housework, sew some and knit. I also have to entertain the Spousal Unit with some TV shows this afternoon. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment