Thursday, June 27, 2024

Hot and Humid

 Yesterday's weather was hot and muggy. The high got to 30.2C with a humidex of 35C. (86F/95F). This morning it is cloudy and 19C. Today is suppose to have showers, thundershowers, wind, and a high of 21C. 

Lifestyle

I was tired yesterday morning but I pushed ahead and cleaned the spare bedroom. My unwise choice was to scrub the window as it was dirty and had some black mould. I did get it clean but the heat and humidity made the room hot and me feel awful. I did clean the room - dusted, wiped, swept, and mopped. The sweeping and mopping extended to the hall, bathroom and kitchen. 

I took the cat litter mat outside and hosed it clean. As I was outside, I checked the plants and the cat had dug in two boxes. They didn't kill any plants but I had to smooth soil around the bok choy. I will have to thin carrots next week as there are two cool mornings. 

I did the recycling and took the two bags and compost bin to the curb early. Another unwise thing to do as I had to retrieve the bags from the ditch twice. Not a lot of fun in the heat and hot wind. 

As I had done the laundry while cleaning the spare bedroom, I made my bed late in the afternoon. I bought the sheets quite a while ago and they are still a bright white. I do love white sheets on a bed. 

We had power fluctuations in the afternoon. When I did a check, 1500 customers west of us were out of power. So close but on another grid. Luckily for them, it was back on in a couple of hours. I am assuming it was the wind that caused the problem. 

Sewing

I set about tracing and cutting out the top for the outfit. I even lined it. It is done to snaps and a bit of hand sewing at the hem. I used the idea from making the Renaissance top to machine stitch the hem and lining and turn it through a hole in the lining. Such a great idea. 

The top just fits into the pants and I would make it 1/4 - 3/8" longer the next time. Over all I am happy with the pattern I drafted. 

The yokes are slightly gathered to add a bit of fullness. It is the start of an idea to see if I can make it fuller. 


I am enjoying drafting patterns now that I am doing the course again and know the patterns will fit the dolls. 

I am ready to begin the Orange Blossom outfit next. The fabrics have been washed and pressed. I need to print out the patterns and start as soon as I finish the top. 

I am also going to start working on the blocks for the quilt I stopped last month. I want to get it ready for the sashing by mid July. I have 4 blocks left to make. 

Knitting

I did knit last night as the house was cool. I got 32 rounds done and the leg is done. I am now working on the heel flap. 

The pattern is called Let It Shine Socks and can be found for free on Ravelry. This is the second time I have knit this pattern and I will be knitting it again in the future. 

Thoughts

    Daughter sent me pictures of her Strawberry Shortcake miniatures and we went down memory lane talking about them. 

They are more than I had thought there were. 

They are inspiring me to make some outfits that have a Strawberry Shortcake theme. July's project for Sewing With Cinnamon is a historical dress and I am going to see if I can use strawberry fabrics for it. 

    My hip has improved a lot since the last flare up and the two huge cracks from last week. The muscles still are sore with certain movements. I was down into the steep sided ditch last night and went up and down with no problems. I was careful but I did it. 

    My IBS has flared up again. I am thinking it may be food but it is also was worrying about the results of my blood tests. The heat/humidity isn't helping it also as I keep overheating by being out in it do chores that need to be done. It will improve but it does leave me tired while I have it. 

Today

I have to go over and check on family's cat and empty their dehumidifiers. I do that first thing. Once home, I will be focusing on cleaning my bedroom. If it isn't raining, I will scrub the windows. I need to dust, sweep, and mop floors. I want to finish the doll's outfit and print the next patterns. If I have time, I will cut out block 6 of the quilt. I will be knitting tonight. 

Until the next time...............................................................

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Thanks for sharing the Ravelry pattern link. Martha, Louisiana

    ReplyDelete