Thursday, May 09, 2024

They Look Like Socks

 Yesterday was basically a sunny day with a high of 16.1C. It did cloud up late in the afternoon and about 1/4" rain fell. This morning it is cloudy, raining and 6C. We are to have periods of rain and a high of 9C. 

Lifestyle

I had a phone call early and got a flower delivery from daughter for Mother's Day. 

I have another delivery on Saturday. I am going to enjoy these flowers to the maximum. 

The morning started later than normal. Daughter-in-law found a nail in one of the tires on her car. Can't be fixed until today. So we used my car and were off a bit later than expected. 

We went to Bayer's Lake which is just outside of Halifax. We did the shopping for the community hall and then did ours. We went into Costco and got what we wanted. Lunch was a hotdog and pop. Lunch cost - $3.00 for both of us. We had a great laugh over having the cheapest lunch ever. But, it tasted really good. 

After we ate, we headed to Sackville as daughter-in-law had an osteopathy appointment. She had a very intense session but she is improving. We celebrated that her back is straight. Wahoo. Once done, we headed out to the little farmer's market that sells plants. I was able to buy leek plants that I will put into the ground in the next couple of days. 

We came home the back way (the old highway) and stopped at the hall to unload the items that were purchased. I dropped daughter-in-law off at home and headed back to my place. As I drove in, I noticed the lawn had been mowed. Perfect as it was done before it rained. It looks so good. 

I unloaded the car and took out the garbage. Once done, I sat down and rested. I was tired as we had been on the go all the time we were away. I did revive after a short rest and dinner. 

Sewing

I was able to spend a bit of time prior to leaving to draft two more bodice patterns. The first one has the dart moved to the center front. The second one has the darts spread across the neckline. 

I am looking forward to seeing how the darts will look radiating out from the center front. The darts on the second bodice will be pleated towards the shoulders (I think). I will play with them to get the best look. I did not add a seam allowance to the neckline as I will sew a row of stitching along the neckline to hold them in place. 

I now need to hunt for fabric to make more muslins. Into the doll's stash I will go to find something that will work. I am at the point of thinking how I will use some of the bodice ideas to make a pattern. At the moment, I haven't got far enough into the lessons to actually do it but ideas are forming. I am thinking of starting with this idea. I can't find the book but do know it is from A V Laird's System Book for bodices and sleeves. (Cotton Times website)

It is really hard to see but I think I can see it well enough to draft the pattern. Maybe a rainy day project. 

Knitting

I worked on the socks last night and got the heels turned and the gusset stitches picked up. I have done 5 rounds on sock #1. 

I love this stage as it begins to look like a sock. Once I have the gusset decreased I will do the 2nd sock. After that is done, I will start to write the pattern for my socks. 

Thoughts

    I was excited to see the rain last night. We need the moisture as the ground is dry. I hope we get enough from this storm to put some needed moisture into the soil. 

    I have been worrying about going to areas like Bayers Lake to shop. I thought I might get too tired driving. I did it and know I can do it again on my own if necessary. I did most of the driving yesterday. If I go on my own, I will leave early so I can miss a lot of the traffic. 

Today

I am home today. I should have my order delivered sometime during the day and it will sit outside or in the garage. I need to fold laundry and do more laundry. I want to clean the dining area and hall. I hope to work on the outer dress and get some if not all the skirt attached. I will be knitting tonight. The extras will be yoga and cutting out the two new bodices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment