Saturday, May 25, 2024

Quilt Block #5 Completed

 Yesterday was sunny with a high of 26.3C (humidex 31C). This morning it is sunny and 10C. Today is to be sunny with a high of 22C. 

Lifestyle

I started out the morning doing laundry. While it washed, I cleaned the kitchen. I am working on keeping it clean as the sugar ants are out and I don't want them in the house. I did my thorough cleaning job and put the laundry in the dryer when the done. 

While the laundry dried, I went to the tire store and ordered 2 new tires for the car. It was cheaper than I had saved up for. Hurrah for that. I will get them installed around June 1. 

Once home, I got out the Wet and Forget and sprayed the green growth and black mould that grows on the house. It is the same stuff that grows on headstones and this is what is used on them. It is environmentally safe. I got done what I had wanted to and you could see the growth coming off. I just left it but will do it again and wipe the areas down with some blue towels I have. I will also do the railing on the deck. 

While I was doing that, my friend showed up. Her dog had disappeared and she usually runs for my place. But not this time. We walked around calling the dog and she was in the ditch behind her place. She had chased a cat and then had fun snooping in the ditch. We were happy she was okay. Once they left, I then went and sprayed the sugar ant nests at the bottom of the deck stairs. 

I made the bed before lunch and then ate. After lunch, I went to check on Elliott and couldn't find him. He was beside while I ate. I looked in his sleeping spots and all were empty. I went down to the sewing room and there he was asleep under the blankets on the easy chair. He was there all afternoon. 

The lawns were mowed yesterday afternoon. The blades were raised due to the fact the lawn is showing signs of stress. The company who is doing the lawns is very careful as he loves how nice it looks all the time. 

I watered the three beds plus one more which I will plant carrots seeds in. I also watered three pots that will have flowers in them. I need to get ready to plant vegetables and flowers this week. 

Sewing

I did sew due to it being so hot outside. I got the side seams of the doll's dress and lining sewn up and the lining pinned to the sleeves. It is ready to hand sew.

Next on the list was to make block 5 of the Ultimate Beginners Quilt. I spent a lot of time cutting out the pieces and laying out the blocks. I sewed, ripped, and resewed two seams as I got them wrong. I watched the video on how to trim the 4 blocks which I did. I used the new ruler which really did a great job for accuracy. I sewed the 4 blocks together and prayed all the seams would line up. I was excited when they were. 

The quilt is coming along and I do like how it looks together. 

When looking at the blocks together, I wish I had used a dark green where I used the green snowflakes on the last block. I didn't as I would have had trees up against trees. It isn't bad but I would have liked a stronger contrast. 

Block #6 has been looked at. 

The colours will be dark in the center with light corners. I am looking forward to making this block as I can work on precision and accuracy. I am really enjoying this quilt. 

Knitting

I knit the leg on the sock and snuck in an extra pattern. It is ready to see if daughter-in-law likes the yarn or if these socks go to daughter. Either way, I love knitting this yarn. 

Thoughts

    We are in desperate need of a good rain. Everything is dry. Hopefully the rain will materialize as anticipated. Though we have been hot, we have only broke the high temp once. The highs are above average, the lows are close to average most mornings. 

     I am not behind on getting plants but with the weather so nice, I feel like I am. I am always cautious as we could have a frost at the beginning of June. I wonder about this year but I can get things inside fast if necessary and cover up plants if need be. I have had to do that before. 

    I had less pain in my hip and more mobility since having two sessions two days in a row. I am hoping that I am in an improvement period at this time. I am finding stairs easier to go up and down. That is wonderful. I am working on walking with a proper gait. Fingers crossed I am moving forward again on this journey and that my SI joint is seated properly for good. 

Today

I am going to clean some more in the house this morning. This afternoon I am out to watch grandson play soccer. I am looking forward to that. We will be home in time to make dinner and then I will water the plants and set up another pair of socks to knit. I may even try to move the big planters down to the front of the house in my wagon if I have time. 

Until the next time.................................................

1 comment:

  1. Carol in Denver12:47 PM

    Your handicraft skills are extraordinary. It is gratifying to see you challenge yourself with this quilt. Maybe it is not too late to cut out new blocks that will please your eye better.

    ReplyDelete