Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Bodice #3 Done

 Yesterday was a lovely sunny day with a high of 18.1C. This morning it is mainly clear and 5C. We are to have increased cloudiness today with a high of 17C. It is suppose to start raining tonight. 

Lifestyle

I cleaned the kitchen from one end to the other. I scrubbed and wiped every surface that looked and was dirty. I shone the stainless steel appliances until they sparkled. The floor was swept and scrubbed. While the floor dried, I took the recycle to the garage and sorted it into its proper bins. It was wonderful to have the kitchen sparkle once again. 

After lunch, I got the rest of the stuff ready for the garage sale. I went downstairs and got items that are related to drywalling and mudding. I went to the shed and got items I don't need or use. When done, I looked at the piles and am happy. I know the Spousal Unit wants people to have it and I will not be charging a lot for most of the items. 

It was so nice outside that I went and got 8 more pieces of edging pulled up and into the shed. I took them up in the wagon and that was quite the feat. It was heavy pulling. I then grabbed the Dutch hoe and hoed around 4 of the bushes in the hedge. I did not pull weeds by hand and I did not pick up the weeds. The soil is dry so they will be dead by tonight. 

When done, I was tired and rested. My hip is not throbbing like the last time. Just tired as it isn't that strong. I know I can do short spurts of yard work until it gets stronger. The muscles and tendons are weak now that they are relaxed. At least it isn't painful like it was last spring. 

Sewing

After cleaning the kitchen, I allowed myself to sew up the next bodice before lunch. I had 30 minutes to do it in. I was in a rush and took no pictures of the pieces cut out and the darts drawn in. I did take a picture of the pattern piece. 

The French darts went in easily and I got the top done in no time flat. I tried it on the doll and it fits just like the other tops do. 

The dart could be a bit closer to the apex but I am not going to worry about that. 

The tops look the same size and when I laid them on top of each other, they are. 

I tried to find out when French darts became popular. For men's clothing it was in the 19th century. Women's clothing I only found that they were popular in the 1950's. 

I did not work on attaching the skirt to the bodice. I was too tired to think about it and was applying heat to my hip. It was nice to have a day where I didn't work on it. 

Sewing with Cinnamon has the new project up for May. As she is travelling, she has chosen the Portable Closet by Luv U Bunches as this month's pattern. I have it and made one. I will not be sewing this pattern but will read the blog posts and watch the videos to see if I can learn something new. Once the dress is done, I will focus on pyjamas for Kit's wardrobe.

Knitting

I knit 10 extra rounds on the socks and got the heel flaps done. 

I can start to turn the heels tonight after I watch the video. I should be able to do that and pick up the gusset stitches in one evening. 

Thoughts

    I am in poor physical condition to do outside work. I will have to start slowly like I did yesterday and do a bit more each time I am outside. I enjoy doing outside work and want to be able to get the yard looking nice again this year. It feels satisfying to do things on my own and to see what I have accomplished. I know I will get stronger as time goes on. 

    Though we have had a lot of rain, we need more as the ground is dry. I will have to watch the garlic and water it by hand. I did plant 4 more cloves that were sprouted. If they all grow, we will have a nice bunch to harvest starting at the end of July. With the nice weather and no frost I am itching to plant seeds but know it is still too early. I will focus on weed control instead. The Spousal Unit's rose bush has leaves on it and is very healthy. My neighbours will enjoy looking at it this summer and I will be picking the blooms to enjoy in the house. 

    The magnolias are out in full bloom and I enjoy looking at them when I go into town. They are very expensive to buy so I am just admiring them. I really have no place to put one as I am keeping this yard low maintenance. I have one tree and the dreaded hedge to look after which is enough. 

Today

I am off to the city with daughter-in-law so will be doing very little today. I want to do the next lesson where we move the dart to the neckline prior to going. I need to fold laundry and put it away. We won't be home until about 3:30 pm so I won't be sewing. I will knit tonight as I am excited to be turning the heels and picking up the gusset stitches. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment