Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Pulling Teeth; Zipper Teeth That Is

Yesterday was pulling teeth day. Literally pulling teeth from zippers. 
I had three seperating zippers in the stash I could use to shorten for the top I am testing. I used two of them. 

Zipper #1

To shorten zipper #1, I followed these instructions. A good method if you can see the teeth to cut off. Not good if they are so tiny your smallest scissors still cut off the teeth and some of the zipper tape. Zipper #1 ended up having about 1/16" of the tape removed along the edge where the teeth were. Into the trash can it went. It had started to ravel away. 

Zipper #2

To shorten zipper #2, I used this video. I watched it twice before I started. I had a plan. Not quite his plan.
I measured the zipper at 6" and then at 7". (I had done this with zipper #1 also.)
Next up was to remove the top stopper. As it is plastic, I knew I couldn't use it again. I broke most of it off. 
Next I used a seam ripper and starting from the top I ripped the threads one stitch at a time to remove the coil. Yes, coils are sewn on to the tape. I got the seam ripper between the coils and the tape and moved downwards to the 6" line. I started at the very top so I had an area to experiment on. 
On one side, I was able to get a thread and it unraveled quite easily. 
Lastly, I cut the zipper tape at the 7" mark. 
I need the top stops and they are hard to find in a small size in the stores. So, I will be over casting thread between tooth 1 and tooth 2 to make a thread stop. The zipper will be ready to install. 
This was the first time I had shortened a separating zipper. I feel thrilled with the results I had.
If you aren't feeling brave, you can buy 6" doll zippers at Zipper That Doll. They have lots of colors. I will be buying some there as I can't get all the colors she offers.
You can buy the top stops for zippers here. The zipper I am working with is a #3 in size. 
It is great to have options when using separating zippers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment