Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Four Stressful Hours = 1 Doll T-Shirt

This morning is another cool one with the temperature being -11C. We won't see any 0C weather for a bit as there is another snow storm coming in. The weather will be milder after the storm; at least we hope so. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday was Heritage Day in Nova Scotia. Many of the businesses were closed so family could be together for the day. We did venture out in the afternoon to return books to the library and a dish to family. 
While at family, we did grandson's experiment on friction. You push a chopstick into a bottle of rice for 3 crunches. See if you can lift the jar by the chopstick. Do it with the other end of the chopstick. Then try other chop sticks. It was a simple but great experiment on friction. We were successful with all the chopsticks but one. It was a thin metal one. He will be set up on Friday for grading and viewing. 

Health

I finally broke the plateau I was on for the past 10 days. It was a great feeling to see the scale down this morning. Let's hope it is reflected on the scales tomorrow night. 
I have been eating properly and monitoring portion control carefully. Though WW is a lifestyle change, it is also a diet and one has to follow the rules to loose weight. Portion control, exercise, and self care are the three things I take from this. I do well if all three are in place. 

Sewing

I spent 4 stressful hours in the sewing room yesterday. I decided to conquer the t-shirt saga for the dolls. I read the following that was helpful:

  • sew using paper underneath the fabric for more stability. You could use tear-away stabilizer also. 
  • do not use paper in the serger. It won't come out of the seam. 
  • lay pieces back on the pattern to see if they are the right shape and size. Steam back into shape and trim if necessary. 
  • use lots of steam and your fingers to work the fabric back into shape. 
  • handle the knit lightly in the machine. Forcing it stretches it out of shape. 
So, armed with my found knowledge, I cut out another t-shirt and labored over it. I used 3 pieces of paper while sewing. 
The neckline barely stretched and I was thrilled over that. The sleeves and bottom hem both stretched about 1/4" due to the serger. It pulls/stretches the fabric. 
I put on crystals to jazz it up and add a bit of a surprise element. 
I am pleased with the results. 
I have figured out that I need to buy a new plate for my sewing machine. One that has a tiny hole for plain stitching rather than the wide one it comes with. I will get it when I take the machine in for servicing. 
The back fits well. 
I will tackle grey leggings next to go with the t-shirt. I do hope that the next t-shirt doesn't take as long to sew up as this one did. I left the sewing room with sore shoulders and neck. 

Knitting

Grandson's socks are coming along well. I have knit almost 2/3rds of the leg on the second sock. Soon it will be heel time. 

Today

It is hair cut day and we are heading out to get apples and maybe books. I want to stop and get paint chips for my design book. Nine days and I start a new course. Yikes. I need to get busy.
Until the next time...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment