Sunday, April 07, 2019

When It Rains, It Floods

On Wednesday, April 3, we had a horrific rain storm pass over us. It rained between 2-3" in about 8 hours. Yesterday was also damp and we saw snow fall in the morning. In between, it has been sunny and cool. 

Lifestyle

On Wednesday, we headed into the city of Halifax in the midst of the storm as the Spousal Unit had an appointment with the hematologist. His check up went well and he goes again in April 2020. He still has to have blood work done every three months and will be called if there is any change. 
We headed home as it was too wet to shop. We got home about 3:30 to discover our basement was flooded. We started to move some stuff into the dry areas and I called the insurance company to open a claim. 
Son, Daughter-in-law, grandson and the neighbor helped us move everything that wasn't damaged out into the garage, the guest room and our bedroom. We were so grateful for the extra help as we couldn't have gotten everything out of that space as quickly as they did and would have had a lot more damage. 
At the moment we are staying in our family's in-law suite and spending time with them. We are so grateful to them as we endure this hiccup in our lives. 

Health

I'm sure my blood pressure went through the roof when I surveyed the basement. I actually left and went to weigh in at Weight Watchers. I lost 1.6 lbs. I hope I maintain for the next couple of weeks. 

Sewing

My sewing room is scattered all over the house. I have found enough to fix buttons on grandson's blazer and to hem his school dress pants. 
 The desk is ruined and awaits being hauled away. 
 Nothing left in the room but the dehumidifiers and fans. We are waiting for the flooring to be removed and the walls and insulation to be removed so the wood can be inspected and dried out or replaced. The family room, bathroom, mechanical room and under the stairs has to have the same thing done to them. 

Knitting

I can get at all my knitting supplies and am knitting. I started a doll's dress with 50 grams of wool and it isn't enough. 
Hopefully I can find the color at one of two stores. If not, I start again. I have 2 balls of red Astra, two balls of a variegated yarn and I can add grey or white for the capelet. 

Today and Down the Road

I will keep you posted on how we are doing and what we have learned. We await for the basement to be opened up so we can see the damage or lack of and get this house dried out. From there we move forward with new flooring, vanity and what ever else we are getting from this insurance claim. 
Until the next time...........................

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Good luck with the clean up - thank goodness for insurance!
    Susan from Manitoba

    ReplyDelete