Friday, August 21, 2026

We Have An Apron In The Making

 Yesterday started out cloudy and ended up sunny. The high got to 27C (humidex 34C). This morning it is cloudy but clearing and 18C. Today is supposed to be sunny with a high ion 28C (humidex 35C). 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning I decided to make brownies. I weighed all the ingredients, sprayed the pan and baked them. I ended up with a first class very rich tasting flop. It would not come out of the pan and it seemed to be undercooked. I cleaned up the mess I had made and moved on. It consumed my morning and I had something worthy for the compost bin. 

I had to water the cucumber plants yesterday earlier than usual as they had wilted in the heat and humidity. They are fine and I will be watering them this morning so they don't wilt again. I do have cucumbers on these plants and the bees are busy getting pollen from the blooms. 

I did pick 2 more tomatoes and have a couple more that will be ready to pick today or tomorrow. 

Sewing

It was a busy day in the sewing room. I took a big breath, measured what I had to cut and started making a piece of fabric for the apron. I was measuring 6 times before I cut. I kept moving forward by sewing together the flying geese first, then attaching the side pieces to them. Finally the border and I took a picture of it. 

I was ready to cut the fabric at the top so it was even with the top of the flying geese. I then measured for the top part of the apron. I cut it out and sewed it on. I could breathe again and realized how tired I was from all the measuring and trying to figure out what I needed. 

I laid the pattern on the fabric and wanted to cry. The pattern has some issues I had to deal with. I figured it out after almost wearing out my tape measure. The pattern is not the same on both sides. All is good when I got that figured out. I cut out the apron very carefully and sewed the outer and lining parts together at the bottom and the sides. I turned it right side out and pressed it well. I was pleased with the results. 

I had a scrap left over from the bottom border so I pressed it to measure the same width as the flying geese. I laid it on at the top of the geese and it was a winner. 

 Daughter loved it so now I have to open the seam and sew the bottom of it to the top of the geese. The remaining part will be top stitched down. 

I was done as my brain had retired for the day. I now have to dig out the instructions so I can finish the apron. 

I did remind my brain to stop doing all this design work but it said nope as it is mulling around ideas for the table runner. It is travelling down a path that is sort of scaring me. 

Knitting

I was too tired to knit last night. 

Thoughts

    We are hoping for cooler weather sometime next week. At least cooler nights. I need to do more weeding but can't when it is warm and humid in the mornings. We will still have this humid air for another month but mornings will be cooler unless something drastic happens like a hurricane. 

    Daughter is in a good place right now with the paperwork she received. It is going to be interesting to see how this goes as she has to do nothing but wait for the court date. There are errors on his part which will go against him in court. 

Today

I am going to go buy a square to replace my blunder. Once home I will fold laundry. This afternoon, I will try to finish the apron so I can focus on finishing the placemats. I will try to knit tonight.  

I just saw a goldfinch land on the power line. I haven't seen many of them this summer. 

Until the next time...................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment