Saturday, October 26, 2024

The Spare Bedroom Reveal

 Yesterday was cool and windy with a high of 11.5C. This morning it is partly cloudy and 1C. Today is suppose to be mainly sunny and 14C. 

Lifestyle

I was back at painting the spare bedroom yesterday morning. I taped above and below the baseboards and that was quite the job as my hip flexor didn't like that. I then painted the baseboards. I was quite sore when I got finished. I cleaned up and sat down to rest for a bit. 

When I took the tape off, I had to go back and do a bit of touch up painting. I had missed a couple of spots on the top of the baseboards. I cleaned up again. Once that was done, I set up the room. I got out a feather duvet that the Hutterites gifted me when I taught school in one of the colonies (I have been gifted one from each colony I taught in). I fiddled and played and have the room almost the way I like it. 

The dresser is being used as storage. I have some items in it that I want to keep and use. I decided to use it to store placemats that I will make for the dining room. 

The table in the corner was suppose to go but I have kept it to help balance the room on that side. I have a conch on it now that belonged to my grandmother. It is extremely old and I do love it. 

The bedside table is on the side of the bed closest to the closet. That space is a bit cramped so small was good. I can open the closet doors without hitting any big furniture. 

I have decided to hang a picture above the bed. My mother's youngest sister embroidered it for me when I was born. I had found it in a trunk in mom's house many years ago and had it framed. It has always hung in a spare bedroom so I will carry on the tradition.

I don't think I will add much more to the room unless I add two big pillows to the bed that will act like a headboard. If I do, I will have to make pillow cases for them in a solid colour. I will also get the white sheets, duvet cover, and navy throw for the bed. 

Here is a short video of the room. 

During the day, I also did 3 loads of laundry (bedding) and made my bed. I folded laundry and put it away as I need to do more laundry today. I also did some quick tidying up in the kitchen as it was feeling messy. Between jobs, I sat with heat on the hip flexor and massaged it to try and get it to relax. It did help a lot. 

Sewing

None done as I was busy upstairs all day. I did think about it though as I need to get the next projects ready to cut out. 

Knitting

I cast on the second sock and knit 11 rounds on it. 

I really want to see how wild this one will look. 

Thoughts

    I watched a video that talked about a few things that interested me. One was hanging curtains. Most rods are hung about an inch above the window trim and near the sides. The rods in the bedrooms are like that. I tried to extend the rod in the spare bedroom so the curtains were out further from the window but the rod isn't long enough to do that. I also realized why I don't like the curtains in the main living areas. The rods are hung half way down the trim. They are also hung right tight against the window trim as there isn't a lot of room. Rather than curtains, these windows need blinds. 

    The second was adding items to flat surfaces. We tend to go too small. Adding one bigger item makes a difference. I see that in the spare bedroom. The dresser has small items where the table has larger ones. I will work on this now that I know what to do. I tend to choose mid sized items and need to look for some larger items to display. 

    I am starting to realize that my style is changing from the western farmhouse look to something that is more subtle. I have moved away from the woody tones in paint colours to the calming grey that I am now enjoying. I still have some of our pictures hung up but I am looking forward to hanging some that I had put away. I am moving back towards the look we had at Ashcroft Ranch where I blended western and Victorian. It was a look I loved and am trying to recreate once again. There will be a twist as I have new things to use that I didn't have back then. 

Today

I have to do the balance sheet today. Then it will be cleaning up the house some and do 2 loads of laundry. I hope to cut out the next projects this afternoon and knit tonight. A quiet day for me. 

Until the next time...........................................................

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:17 PM

    The spare bedroom looks great. Love the wall hanging. Marianne

    ReplyDelete