Monday, September 12, 2022

A Busy Sunday

 Yesterday was another lovely fall day. The sun shone and it got to 25.6C with a humidex of 29C. This morning it is 14C and we are to have about the same temperature, including humidex, as yesterday.

Lifestyle

Yesterday, I went out in the cool of the morning and picked the tomatoes. 

I checked the peppers and there were 2 ready to pick; one had turned red.

I looked at the beans and they are in full bloom. We should be eating beans by the end of the month.

The peas have just started to bloom and we make get peas also. I will be watching the weather and covering plants at the first mention of frost. 

The next job was to clean and bag the garlic. I did that in the shed with the big door open. I cried some as I did it. I was doing as the Spousal Unit asked; getting them ready for our daughter-in-law. I have to say they weren't sad tears but happier ones.

The little bag has tiny garlic that grew on the stems. There were 35 bulbs of garlic in the bag. I will be planting more again this fall. I will do it right after Thanksgiving. 

Son was over after lunch for a quick visit. He had gone to see the Spousal Unit. He said he was tired and fell asleep on him. I didn't call for an update for I'm assuming he slept a lot yesterday. He seems to get days and nights mixed up. 

Daughter-in-law and grandson were over last night. Grandson hurt his ankle and he iced it. Daughter-in-law mowed the lawns. I will begin to water all the lawns as they are crispy in areas. They need a good rain which isn't in the forecast. 

Sewing

I finished the muslin for the Soutache dress. I learned a lot doing a muslin which I am glad I did.

I learned so much about the pattern. The next time I will add 1/4" to the bottom of the bodice so I can lower the embroidery that much. The sleeve band needs to be 1 1/4" wide so you can hem it nicely when done. I cut 3/8" off the center back seam.

I need to measure the skirt once again so I know how long to make it. I want a 1/2" hem on this dress. I am pleased I took the time to make sure the embroidery was on top of the pleats on the front. It was worth it. The only thing I need to read up on is the center back seam of the skirt. I didn't do it correctly.

This is not a dress to be rushed. I had to really think about it as I was trying to get it to look as I had envisioned it. It paid off in the end. In all the embroidery is well digitized and the pattern only needs a few personal tweaks to be the way I want it.

The pink fabric is washed and ready to be pressed. I will be cutting out the pattern next week as the cutting table needs to be cleared off and daughter's quilt sandwiched. 

Knitting

I pulled out the sock and my book and saw I had 35 rows knit. I dug out the 2nd one and started to knit on it. I got 6 rounds done on it last night. I'm starting to knit most nights once again. I will probably start knitting in the basement this winter so I can stream shows from the iPad onto the big TV.

A pattern showed up for testing so I downloaded it and will knit when the socks are done. It is a cute cardigan which I want to knit for Kit. I have an idea for an outfit for her that will have a 1920-30's vibe. 

Today

 I have a few chores to do, a support group meeting at 10:30 a.m., and I want to start tidying up the sewing room. I have to start watering the lawn and garden this morning. 

Until the next time.......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment