Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Moving Forward to 2018

After snow, freezing rain, rain, and wind on Christmas day, we were more fortunate than many people in the province. We had power where many didn't. Today it is cooler and snowing. 

Lifestyle

With colds and flu going around, we had a quiet Christmas. We enjoyed all our gifts, had naps, played a new game called Catan and had a wonderful turkey dinner. We came home early so everyone could retire early and get better. For us it is the nagging cough. For others it is the chest or head that is stuffed up and running a low grade fever. 

Sewing

I will photograph Daughter-in-laws fabric for her knitting bag. She is so in love with the fabric that it is cute watching her handle it. It will be a delight to make her the bag and maybe a small bag for her knitting notions. 
I am hoping to sew up some Christmas fabric during 2018. It is part of my goals for Explore 2018. I have decided that I want to use up the larger scraps and will be making Santa Ornament - log cabin block. Here is a great picture of several on wine bottles. 
I hope to make quite a few of these as they could be great craft bazaar items. Join me during the year as I do a tutorial on my take of them. I only need a fat quarter of skin colored cotton and I am set to make these. Who knows, maybe I will do Christmas Sewing for the next 10 months. 

Knitting

I finished Anna's cape and it is slightly too small for her. 
The hood is too small and with her pony tail still in she looks like she has a hunched back. 
I finished a gauge swatch using 4.5 mm needles and it is still too small. I will try 5.0 mm needles and if not correct, I may give all the yarn to the thrift shop. If by some chance I get the gauge correct and so another long cape or two, I want to make creamy white dresses for Anna and Kate. They will be their next year's Christmas outfits. 
I did a quick swatch using 4.5 mm needles and Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK. It is as close to perfect as I can get for the gauge. I started another cape and am doing the short version for Anna. The lucky girl gets expensive yarn for her short cape. I'll have to look in the fabric tubs for an outfit to go with it. 

Today 

I have to put together the storage unit for the fabrics and start putting them on the shelves. It is time to move forward and get the sewing room ready to work in. 
Until the next time..................

1 comment:

  1. I'll look forward to your tutorial about the Santas. :-)

    ReplyDelete