Monday, July 08, 2013

Day Two and Three

We have had a couple of very busy days at our son’s. To the point of being very tired.

On Saturday we headed north of Edmonton to the farmer’s market. The farmer’s markets we have seen are small compared to this one.


We walked for almost 2 hours looking at everything there is to be seen. The picture above is only a tiny portion of the stalls here.

We saw a lot of Ukrainian food, fresh produce, and crafts. Edmonton is in the province of Alberta. We live in British Columbia (BC) and had a good chuckle to see the fruit sold in the market comes from our province.


We have to pace ourselves as the little guy is a diabetic and meals have to be on time.

On Sunday we headed out east of Edmonton to the Ukrainian Village. After a lunch of perogies and sausage, we walked for almost 3 hours looking at everything. There was and still is a large Ukrainian population in the area.

After visiting the railway station and the hotel, the guy got to stand by the old Ford car.


Along the way we visited a beautiful Ukrainian Church that still has some services, weddings, baptisms, and funerals held in it.



The light in both of the pictures is carved out of wood and is a spectacular piece.


We went into the store to see what was for sale.


The cans of tomatoes were from BC and, at one time, from the cannery in our community.


We wandered to see the pigs and sheep which we fed grass to.



We also went to the sod house.


The stone apparatus allowed the lady of the house to grind wheat seeds to make flour. You turned the stone using the wooden handle.


We headed off to the police station.


And the police put our son in jail for stealing the little guy’s horse. That was a hoot.


Our final stop of the day was at the grain elevator. It is a fully working elevator. Set of scales in the corner.


The little tin cups carries the wheat up to the top of the grain elevator. This elevator is set up to be run by one person.


We were coming back out of the village to see the last three houses and it started to rain and hail. We jumped back into the dry spot and waited it out. We left happy and tired.

Today we hope will be somewhat quieter. We will see what this afternoon brings but we do know this morning there is work to be done.

Until the next time………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment