Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Reloading The Sewing Room

This morning is a lot warmer than yesterday and it will continue to get warmer as the day goes on. With this type of weather, we get rain which it's doing at this moment.

Lifestyle

Yesterday was Work On Your Clutter Threshold Day for me. It isn't clutter tolerance (or slob vision) which I know I have. It is the amount of stuff I can have in a room called the sewing room. My clutter threshold is the point where I can keep all the stuff in the sewing room under control. When I can't control it, it becomes clutter and clutter needs to go. I'm working on two things right now with the sewing room. How will I contain it and use the one in one out rule. I will moan that I don't have enough storage space. I will complain that I need more containers. It will happen. In the end, I need to have less so it will fit in what I have now. 
I was reading a post I did in 2014 and how we decluttered our house. I know we finished it in time to move June 30, 2015. At that point we had renovated a home and purged a lot of our stuff. We did do more decluttering while in Kamloops. As I read the post, I realized that I was doing what I am doing today. The decluttering brought us back to the Clutter Threshold. We knew having less was more in our lives. We succeeded everywhere except for the sewing room. It is here that I need to focus and have a plan. 

Sewing Room

I worked in the sewing room all morning and some in the afternoon. The floors are completely scrubbed and then mopped with Bona. They do look quite nice. 
Once the floors were done, I started looking at what needed to go back into the closet. I formed a little plan and set about to see if it would work. 
 It does. Patterns for us, doll accessories, trims interfacing and other small items got put on the shelf. There is a tub of doll clothes that are not sellable on the floor. I have to add a tub of doll fabric and doll patterns in there also. The embroidery unit for my sewing machine will be stored in that area also. 
We discussed whether I should put a dresser or a cube in the closet. It is still under discussion because it could go where the shelving unit is. It won't happen until I get the necessary amount of stuff sewn up and I can actually put that dresser or cube into that space to house what is left and not be adding to what I now have. And, yes, the shelving unit is destined to leave that room. 
I turned by attention to the boxes of fabric in the family room. I grabbed the doll's fabric tubs and put them on the shelf. I then started unloading fabric. Most of what I put on the shelf it jacket material. How many jackets/vests do I need? Or Grandson need? Or anyone need? I felt and still feel overwhelmed with it all. I'm at my limit for outerwear fabric. It fits on that shelf and if I find more, then I have the one in one out rule to follow. 
The top shelf has pillow forms, cushion foam for the dining room chairs and those will be used up. The bottom shelf has batting for bags as does the shelf with the tubs for the doll clothes house some extra I found. I will be making lots of those. The fabric on the floor is room darkening curtain material and will be pegged onto the outside of the shelving unit to keep the light away from the fabric. And to hide it.
With that done, I had a nap. I had dealt with about half of the stuff that is going back in. I have made a decision that I will give a friend a couple of items to quilt and she can sell or donate them. She will also get some quilting cotton to use what ever way she wants. I have only some much shelving space left and it has to house all the fabric I have in boxes. Next up will be the top/bottom fabrics in the second large box. Last will be the quilting cottons. 

Planning or Random Thoughts

While I was putting the outer wear fabric on the shelf, I was thinking not only about the amount I have but what I have.
Most is expensive fabric that I picked up for a song. As I folded it, I knew that some pieces have a pattern attached to them in the pattern box. Others have ideas attached to them. 
All will get sewn as most of the fabric I will wear. The two large pieces of wind proof fleece are going to make wonderful jackets to wear in the cool days of fall and spring. The blue butter suede will make a great jacket to wear when we go to grandson's school. 
Ideas are there and it will get sewn. A few pieces will be made and sold. I'm sure some child will enjoy wearing the vests in the winter. 

Today

I plan on working on getting the fabric put away and items that we are giving to a friend put into a box. Other items will be put into the garbage. I would like to think I will have reloaded the sewing room today but I will have to see what happens. 
Until the next time............................


1 comment:

  1. I've been following along with your sewing room remodel with great interest, and it really looks beautiful. A clean, organized workspace always gives me a burst of creative energy.
    So many of your experiences on the border between disorganized stash and organized hoarding really resonated with me. I suppose they are universal for us crafters. I have been trying to whittle down my stash for years now, and I can see in my records that I've given away 200 - 300 yards of fabric each year, but there is still an overload in my sewing room. It takes me a long time to decide to let go of fabrics and related items, and it takes an even longer time to figure out how to get rid of what are actually valuable commodities. It's hard to sell online, I don't have friends who sew, and I worry that donations to Goodwill or Salvation Army will just end up as some other country's burden.
    Well, I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to share my experience and thank you for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete