Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Fabric Basket Sewn

 Yesterday was fairly sunny and cool with a high of 11C. This morning it is partly cloudy and 6C. Today is suppose to be a mix of sun and clouds with a high of 8C. We can expect frost tonight; our first this fall. 

Lifestyle

I was out to New Minas in the morning even though I was tired. I needed to get some items there. My first stop was Walmart. I needed to get some groceries, distilled water, a couple of cleaning items, and a few Christmas items. I also wanted to wander around some as I haven't done that for quite a while. 

I did look at the Christmas items to see if there was something for gifts. I picked up a mug with snowflakes on it for me. I didn't buy it as I didn't need it. I looked at them all but saw nothing for gifts. I wandered down the aisles looking and saw nothing. I did wander into the drapes and found the ones I have in my bedroom in the silver grey. I may buy them for the guest room if the blue ones don't work. 

Once done there, I headed to Home Depot to get the paint for the baseboards. I waited longer for someone to shake the can than it did to find the paint and paint brush. 

My last stop was at Michaels as I wanted to see if they had the black ornaments I bought last year. They did and they were buy one get one free. I got 2 as I wanted one for an experiment. I also picked up 2 picks of red berries, and dark green ribbon for Addy's hair. 

At home, I was pleased with how much I had focused on buying what I needed and not what I wanted. It was fun to wander around the stores looking. It is free to do that and I had no regrets leaving items I liked behind. 

I tried to nap after lunch but was unsuccessful. I knew that I would be struggling by 9 pm. I did better than expected and slept well all night. 

Sewing

I did go down to the sewing room. And I sewed without making a mistake. I made a fabric basket. I followed a YouTube video that I found here

I used fusible fleece on the outer fabric and SF101 pellon on the lining. I followed her instructions for size and process. Where she doesn't press, I pressed the seams open. The basket turned out really cute. 

I am going to put some shredded paper in mine and it will hold the 5 black ornaments I am going to make for daughter's Christmas tree this year. She can use it for other things or put gifts in it to give away. 

I can see why people make these baskets. They are quick to make with this one taking me less than 2 hours. I get up and move to press which is necessary for me. But, I can see cutting out several of them that will use the same colour thread and sewing them in assembly line. I know I will be making a few more this fall. 

There are scraps of fabric left over and I am hoping to make one mug rug from them. Bonus if I get 2. I can see these baskets selling at a craft bazaar with hot chocolate, tea, mug, and mug rugs in them. 

Knitting 

I knit on the doll's sweater last night, unknit as I forgot a buttonhole and reknit to where I was. 

I have finished 20 rows now. I didn't knit on the socks as I was too tired once I got the sweater to this stage. 

Thoughts

    I am still at a quandary about my sewing room. I am having a love/hate relationship with it. I know it has too much in it but I am struggling with letting it go. I want to sew it up but feel like I am moving at a snail's pace. Most of the fabric left I like. I want to sew it into things. I am seeing an increase in the yardage sewn but I look at what is left and wonder if I will ever get it all sewn. There is some guilt about having bought it over the years. But that is past me and I am trying so hard not to buy fabric unless I need it. I guess I need to focus on what I have accomplished this year. 

    It was great to be out and about yesterday morning. I had enough of staying at home fighting the cold. I did wear a mask at all times. I am also sanitizing my hands when I leave the stores as a preventative measure. I do not need to get sick this winter. Though the cold didn't materialize into a full blown one, it was enough to makes me realize how much I have enjoyed not being sick. 

    I have clutter in the dining room as I am trying to pack boxes to send to daughter. I have no idea what to buy them for Christmas this year and am struggling with it. I need to go shopping in the city to get some items. 

Today

I am going to scrub the spare bedroom floor and baseboards. If I have time, I will start painting the baseboards. I want to make the ornaments for daughter so I can put them into a box to ship. Tonight I will knit on the socks. I am staying home today to get some things done. 

Until the next time..............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment