Thursday, September 17, 2026

Progress On The Table Runner

 Yesterday was another sunny warm day with a high of 22C (humidex 24C). This morning it is partly cloudy and 13C. Today is supposed to be cloudy with showers and the high is supposed to get to 20C. 

Lifestyle

I got outside and swept the deck down. Then I washed the table and put it away on its side against the house. I also picked some of the ripened jalapeño peppers. I will pick the rest next week and put those tubs into the shed. 

I got the sheets laundered and the bed made in the afternoon. I did a few small chores and then went down a rabbit hole for a while. It was time to do some research on Canadian history. 

How Canada grew from the 4 original provinces to what it is today is interesting. Some provinces joined with defined boundaries. Two provinces were created after Canada bought the land from the Hudson Bay Company. This area became two provinces as they were heavily populated farming areas and could support themselves as provinces. Canada also bought the land which is Yukon and the North West Territories. These areas are not provinces as they cannot support themselves due to climate.  

I did learn a lot. Some of it was review as we did learn some of it in high school and university. Some of the information was new as they didn't teach it to us. Digging into our history is interesting. My last trip down a rabbit hole was when I read about the Confederation of Canada when in PEI last summer. We learned all about it in school but the tidbit that is skimmed over is that the paperwork was signed in PEI but that province did not join Canada until 6 years later. A whole other story. 

Last night I was at the hall to help out with the "Jam" session. This happens once a week where people come out to either listen or play music or sing for a few hours. They sing mainly country and western or old tunes. Two or three people volunteer to make coffee and sell some snacks to the people. They also do some work that needs to be done. Last night we put silicone covers on the feet of the chairs. I was there for 2.5 hours with daughter-in-law and another person and will go a couple of times a month. 

Sewing

I fixed the one block that was wrong in the green leaf. I then cut out the pieces for the next yellow leaf block. I cut and sewed that yellow leaf together trying to figure out which way the seams needed to be pressed. I had to walk away from it for a few minutes as I was not getting it. The break worked wonders. 

The other short side was put together. I am making sure that I have the leaves turned the proper way before I join it to the main part. 

The downside of having the leaves all attached is that I have to rip open half a seam when I attach a leaf. If I don't have them attached, I spend too much time running to the computer to look at the layout. It is a pain either way but I find having them attached is easier on my brain. 

The next step is to add the border piece to the top of the runner so it is finished. Then two yellow leaves and the border on the bottom. Then it can be sandwiched and quilted. 

I sat for a bit looking at the table runner and asked myself why I chose a pattern with so many small pieces in it. My study in using soft colours has worked. I didn't realize I had add a challenge of doing an intricate piecing project. At the moment I have 10 days to finish it in. I am hoping to have it done before that. 

Knitting

I did none last night as I got home after 8 pm and was sore. 

Thoughts

    I have not done a lot of fall cleaning in the kitchen as I have been trying to get other things done. I still have a few things to do outside and then I can focus on fall cleaning. The remainder of this month is busy with other things and I need to find a balance of home and volunteer work. 

    As I write this, the fog has rolled in fast and thick. I can just see across the road but not any further than that. If it keeps coming in, I may not be able to see much of anything. This is fall in our area. 

Today

I have a hair cut this morning. Once home, I need to fold laundry and do a bit of cleaning up. I am out for a meeting at 1 pm and I hope that I can sew the binding onto the top of the table runner. I hope to knit tonight.

Until the next time.................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment