Sunday, August 16, 2026

Down Memory Lane

 Yesterday was sunny with a high of 24C (humidex 26C). This morning it is mainly clear and 12C. Today is supposed to be mainly sunny with a high of 26C (humidex 29C).

Lifestyle

I went down memory lane yesterday. I had to fix a thumb drive on the lap top downstairs and while waiting for it, I opened up a file called "passport" and took a look. I didn't move for an hour. In it was files on 3 of my uncle's siblings which I thought I had lost on my old laptop. They were Middlemore children who were brought from England to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in 1905 and 1906. Another file I opened was pictures and I found some of my dad and his brother, my brother and I, and others. A third file showed pictures of the places we owned since 2000. 

I pulled myself from the computer to get things done. The thumb drive was still being fixed. It was upstairs to marinate chicken and clean the kitchen. I got it done. Dishes were hand washed and the dishwasher was run. 

I was out to have dinner with family last night and we did Italian. Bruschetta for appetizers, spaghetti and meat sauce for the main, and Tiramisu for dessert. It was delicious. After dinner, daughter-in-law showed me a towel she did cross stitch on. 

She had another one with sunflowers on that she couldn't find the instructions for. So it was downstairs we went. I got to see the demolition of the basement. The drop ceiling is down and son has to sort cables out. An interesting mess to say the least. He knows which ones he installed but the others ????

We then went to look for the book of instructions. It ended up being a trip down memory lane. We looked at baby clothes, a Cabbage Patch doll, stuffed animals, and other items that have been stored in tubs. We got to one that was son's stuff. In it was a stamp collection that belonged to both his grandmothers. We dug deeper and found some pictures that we got a laugh about. Son taken while in college. Then we got into something I hadn't seen for years. Sketches that my dad's oldest brother sent to us when I was a child. They were done by Stewart Cameron in 1951 about the Calgary Stampede. I found this picture of them on Ebay. 

I remember that we would look at them very carefully when growing up. My mom gave them to me when she sold the house back in the early 1990's. Two of the prints have been framed and the rest have been carefully store so they wouldn't bend. 

We also found an old VHS tape and son thinks it is of him riding bulls. I don't know if they will have it digitized and put on a thumb drive or not. In the end, we didn't find the booklet so we came upstairs and I left for home shortly after that. 

Once home, I grabbed the weeding tools and my tub and weeded the front of the house. I also pulled some large weeded from the lawn. With that job done, I was ready to come in and rest. My SI joint had been aching all day. 

Sewing

I sewed yesterday and did some adjusting on the first placemat. I cut the black border back to 1/4" and then added the navy blue border to the 4 sides. Next I added the flying geese to the 4th side. I like it a lot better and it will match the apron. It also allowed me to get them the correct size for placemats. 

I sewed 6 more geese blocks together and am ready to start on the next placemat. 

I will cut back the black on this one and then add the blue borders. Then on to the next one. 

Knitting

I knit 4 rows on the afghan last night as that was all the time I had after getting in from weeding. 

Thoughts

    We still have a lot of moisture in the air. I emptied the dehumidifier yesterday afternoon. I got 2.5 days before emptying it. The air is drier as we haven't had rain since Friday afternoon and the next rain is to come tomorrow night. 

    I picked all the ripe tomatoes yesterday. Three of them split and were tossed into the compost bin. I did end up with 5 ripe ones. More are ripening but it will be a few days before they are ready. I also fertilized the cucumber plants they are growing rapidly now and need the extra food. The jalapeño peppers are growing but won't be ready until September. 

    I took Tylenol last night so I would sleep better. I also rolled my hip an SI joint and had several cracks as everything released. I did have a good sleep which was lovely. My SI joint is a bit sore this morning but it is manageable. 

    I wasn't going to weed yesterday but it was really nice outside last night so I did some. I have between 3 and 4 days left to weed around the house and down the driveway. I also want to dig out the big weeds in the front lawn. Though I don't need to do them it gives me something to do outside. I may even get the hedge tackled before late fall.  

Today

I need to fold the laundry, weed some more, and prep for dinner. I want to sew this afternoon and then knit tonight.

Until the next time....................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment