Saturday, August 08, 2026

Almost Done The Doll's Dress

 Yesterday was mainly sunny and hot. The high got to 32C (humidex 38C). This morning it is clear and 20C. Today it is supposed to be a mix of sun and clouds with a chance of rain this afternoon. The high is to get to 30C (humidex 36C).

Lifestyle

I had the house opened yesterday morning to air it out and enjoy the cool air. As the sun got higher, it got hot quickly. I shut the house up and closed all the blinds. You could actually feel how humid it was as it warmed up.

I decided to get groceries while it was "cool". It wasn't busy at the grocery store which was nice. I got everything I wanted and looked at a few things I didn't need. It was just snoop shopping. I did help one lady as she couldn't find what she wanted. She is on a low sodium diet like me so we chatted for a few minutes as we read labels. 

At home, I was greeted by the people who mow my lawn. The lawn was due for a mowing and weed eating. I paid them and we talked about the humidity coming in so early yesterday. 

I got all the groceries put away and sat down to have a large amount of water. I was getting dehydrated from being in the house and being outside in the heat. 

I did water the vegetables twice yesterday and the flowers once. I always water the rose bush and had to go in and get the scissors as there were some gorgeous blooms read to be picked. 

Sewing

I worked on the doll's dress yesterday. It was time to make the skirt. I read the instructions first and then proceeded to not fold the ruffle in half. Am I glad I didn't do it the way the instructions said. I did the serging, hemmed the bottom and sides and put in 3 rows of gathering thread. I'm glad I did the 3 rows of gathering thread as there was a lot of fabric to gather onto the bodice. I picked and played with the gathers and then hand basted it in place. 

Next up was the skirt. I followed the instructions and even did a double turned hemmed. I serged and then did 3 rows of gathering thread as there was more fabric to gather in the skirt. I will have to say I did a of grunting as I gathered the fabric to fit the bodice. I did it without breaking a thread. I fiddled with the gathers and then sewed it all together. I even serged the waist seam before I stopped for the day. My hands couldn't handle sewing snaps and buttons on. 

I am impressed with this pattern. It fits the doll well which is what I do want when sewing for them. The instructions are good with only one spot I got confused (operator problem) and one part where it said the "dot" was to be at the back edge of the bodice. There was no dot but a line where you folded the fabric back. 

I certainly will be buying another one of her patterns and will sew this pattern again. I want to do the top again with capris. 

Knitting

I knit 7 rows and ran out of thread while knitting the 8th row. I stopped for the night and will get a new ball out to knit again on Sunday night. 

Thoughts

    I am working through some guilt I am still dealing with since the Spousal Unit passed away. I have dealt with the guilt of him passing first and the guilt of me not being able to stop him from having Alzheimer's. The guilt I am dealing with now is from not visiting him at the hospital as we were following orders from the RCMP. I now know I should have visited him as there was no formal paperwork delivered to me or him. The hospital could do nothing about me visiting. They were struggling with this also as this was their first time dealing with this type of situation. If it happened today, I would be in to visit him and saying show me the paperwork. We learn as we go and I know I will work through this as I come to terms with it. 

    Though we have no humidex this morning, we have 100% humidity and no dew. I walked out onto the deck this morning knowing I will be outside only to water the plants. This heat is tropical air coming in from the Caribbean and could last a couple more days. 

    I found a 2nd cucumber yesterday. I am looking forward to having fresh cucumbers off the vine. The Early Girl tomatoes are starting to ripen and we will soon be eating them. The jalapeño peppers are growing but it will be a while before they will be ready. Though the plants got a slow start this year, they are doing much better than I had thought. 

Today

I have laundry to do and a bit of cleaning upstairs. I want to finish the doll's dress this afternoon. I am out to help in the bar at the community hall tonight so I won't be knitting. 

Until the next time............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment