Friday, April 26, 2024

The Kirtle Bodice Is Labour Intensive

 Yesterday was sunny and windy with a high of 6C. This morning it is clear and -3C. Today is to be mainly sunny with a high of 10C. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning I tackled the litter box area in the spare bedroom. It was deep clean day and I spent a lot of time getting everything very clean. Elliott likes his area clean which I do regularly but I like to really clean it up every week to 10 days. 

Next up was to start cleaning up the kitchen. I decided I should do dishes and make frozen dinners. I made more dishes to clean and, in the end I made 5 pulled pork meals. I also sliced chicken ready to be used also. I have run out of freezer containers as I have used many to make chicken broth. 

I also cleaned under the sink. I emptied it, washed under there, and put back only what I use on a regular basis. The rest was disposed of. It looks much better under there and I can see and reach everything easily. I have to buy furniture polish and that is it. 

Sewing

I worked on the kirtle top all afternoon. I read the instructions, cut out the fabrics, and sewed and sewed and sewed. The front of the kirtle took the longest to make as it has padding stitches all over it. Drawing the lines took the most time. 


The back of the kirtle has cotton for the main part with the upper part being in the satin. There is no padding on it. I don't have a picture of the back. 

I was brain tired when I finished the top to this point. I had really focused on how to do it correctly and neatly. 

I now have to stitch the top together at the center back and side seams. Then it will be on to sewing the bottom outer fabric and lining together. Then I can add the skirt to the bodice sewing it by hand. 

I have been watching some YouTube videos on corsets and have learned a lot. I have also done some reading on corsets. The kirtle comes before the corset and its evolution from being a loose fitting garment to a fitted top with an attached skirt developed over time. The bodice became the prototype for the corset. The kirtle fell out of favour when 2 piece dresses became fashionable. 

I am still sitting on the fence if the smocked hemd and kirtle are worn together. I find that the hemd or chemise in most searches are not like this. A lower neckline was more common. Sleeves could be long or short. The kirtle is more historically correct. It is the middle dress worn over the chemise and under the over dress. More often it was wool or linen though the front of the skirt and bodice could be made of the fabric of the over dress. I have learned a lot while making this outfit and have more to learn. 

Knitting

I finished knitting the top of the peach hat and it is ready to be shipped to daughter. I want to make one more hat and then start a pair of socks. 

Thoughts

    Daughter showed me a video of a cow who had 4 babies. All are doing well and are very active. I have seen triplets born to one cow but never 4. Very rare to say the least. 

    I have been enjoying doing research on Renaissance fashion. I have learned a lot and still have a lot of questions about what was fashionably correct in some countries. The hemd is very much German and a variation of it and the kirtle is seen in their tops and drindle skirts today. I know that I will be doing more research on historical clothing as time goes on. 

Today

I am out this morning with daughter-in-law. I hope to get more food for Elliott plus a few other things if I can. I want to sew this afternoon. I pick up grandson from school and have dinner (curries) with family. I may knit tonight if I am not too tired. 

Until the next time........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment