Sunday, April 28, 2024

Hand Sewing The Kirtle

 Yesterday was another sunny day with a high of 11.6C. This morning it is clear and -4C. Today we are to have sunshine with a high of 14C. 

Lifestyle

I did yoga first thing and while doing one of the exercises there was a loud crack. The SI joint seated and the pain went away. It was so nice to have no pain though the muscles and tendons were tired. I finished yoga on a strong note. 

I tidied up the kitchen and washed the floor. I had cleared off and cleaned the dining table and while the kitchen floor dried, I swept the dining room floor. I washed it and the hall floor. It is nice to have most of the upstairs clean. I will keep cleaning a bit each day as I need to start on the garage.  

Two loads of laundry were done and are ready to fold today. I had a busy morning. 

Sewing

I sat hand sewing on the kirtle yesterday afternoon. It took me 3 hours to attach the cartridge pleats to the bodice. It is whip stitched together with each pleat having 2 stitches to hold them in place. This allows the pleats to hang freely. I was worried about the center front but it turned out quite nicely. I turned up the hem and hand stitched it in place with tiny stitches. 

Just the eyelets need to be added to the back which will be done later. I have to buy them. 

The kirtle has 9 pieces for the bodice and 2 for the skirt. It is labour intensive. I still have to add more crystals to the skirt and some detail to the top of the bodice. 

Next up is the outer dress. It will be made from the purple satin and lined with the cotton. It is just as labour intensive as the kirtle but will have less embellishments on it. I am going to sew piping before I start the outer dress to give my brain a rest from all the detailed work I have done the kirtle.

Knitting

I set up another hat last night and knit 18 rows on it. This hat is for daughter-in-law. 

Thoughts

    My weight is going up and down which means I am not eating properly. I need to focus on what I am suppose to eat and stop snacking. I also need to do more active things (think clean the garage). 

    I have inquired so see if we can be part of a large garage sale mid May. I want to get ready because there will be that one and possibly one the following weekend. I will be working on getting ready for it daily. The car will have to be parked outside as I want to set up the garage while I organize it. 

    I finished researching the doll's outfit and learned a lot about clothing in this era. The hemd is historically correct for Germany, smocking seemed to be on smocks for labourers, and upper class's huge collars did not seem to be a part of the chemise. The kirtle wasn't boned as people used padding to give the structure to the bodice of the kirtle. The skirt front could be embellished but may not be. A fore skirt could be tied at the waist and pinned down the sides which allowed for different fabrics to be used. If this was done, separate sleeveless were attached to the sleeves of the chemise or to the outer dress. 

Today

I have to do yoga and then the balance sheet. I need to fold laundry and start cleaning the garage. Sewing will be piping as my brain needs a rest before I cut out the outer dress. Tonight I will knit on the hat. 

Until the next time...............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment