Sunday, April 21, 2024

More Progress On The Sewing Room

 Yesterday was a mix of clouds with the rain coming in about 6 pm. It rained almost 1/2". The high got to 9.4C. This morning it is cloudy and 5C. We are to have a mix of sun and cloud with a high of 13C. 

Lifestyle

I was busy all day and didn't sit down to rest until almost 8 pm. I had a rough night of pain and cramps so wonder how I will function today. I have heat on my SI joints already this morning. 

I helped out at the community hall as there was a roast beef dinner being served. I served tea and coffee for a bit and then helped put food on the plates. I washed dishes and ran the commercial dishwasher. I was on my feet for over 3 hours but I did enjoy it. I haven't worked with this group of ladies since before the Spousal Unit became ill. 

My neighbour's youngest boy was given the task of cleaning the ditch yesterday afternoon. He did a fabulous job of it and I am so grateful for that. I could have done the side ditch but the front one is steep and I worry about getting out of it. I am also happy that no more garbage is going into the creek (?) behind their house. None of the garbage picked up was mine as I keep my trash picked up and my containers are in the garage. 

Sewing Room

It was another busy day in the sewing room. My first job was to tackle the cutting table. The slide in drawers were tidied up so I can have my tools in them. Then I started to handle the "stuff" on the table. As I handled it, I decided to cut piping for daughter. I got two pieces cut and hung up. 

The scraps are ready to go to the quilting group. Next up I interfaced the two counted cross stitch pictures which were buried in the mess. They are both with the Charlie Brown book I need to work on. 

The final job was to sort and cut batting for 2 mug rugs. A bunch of small pieces of batting were trashed. After that it was sorting, folding, and wiping the table and cutting mat. I did stitch out the first mug rug which I finished up at the end of the day. 

After lunch I started working around the rest of the room. The pressing area was tacked, cleaned, and arranged. I was up on the ladder washing the window above the ironing board. Black mould was dealt with. The window was scrubbed clean and sanitized against more mould growth. 

I then decided to work on the tall cabinet of drawers. I emptied every drawer, assessed what I needed and tossed the useless stuff. I put all my threads in there. It was a big job deciding on how to arrange the drawers so I can reach them easily. The serger thread I haven't used in years will be shipped to daughter. She uses a lot of different colours. I use mainly black, white, grey, navy, and off white. 

I moved on to the cubby with the dolls on it. It was cleaned up and the window above it was washed and sanitized against black mould. I didn't touch the doll's clothes as I am working on a plan to make each one a wardrobe using the clothes I have made plus making more. 

Then it was cleaning the sewing machine area. I wiped and cleaned, and put away items that had been left out. I put down the quilting extension I had used for making the cardinal quilt. 

The other machine was cleaned and the table washed down. I prepped for the next mug rug and called it a day. I had been at it for 5 hours. 

What did I take away from yesterday's cleaning?

    I have way too much stuff in the sewing room. I found a blade for my small rotary cutter. I don't lack for anything so I don't need to buy anything until it is necessary. The new rotary blades showed me that. Counting 3 containers of new pins told me that I don't need any more of them. 

    I loose things easily as every drawer was full. I found the bobbin cover for the zig-zag throat plate. I had looked for it several times but it was well hidden in the thread drawer of the sewing machine cabinet. It had flipped in there when I changed the throat plates on the machine. The "less is more" is right for me. 

    I have held on to too much. Part of it has been guilt from therapy buying. I have said I need to sew it up as I had bought it. I have realized I don't have to as someone else can enjoy it. It is from the past and doesn't need to be around to remind me of what happened. I just need to remind myself that I don't need to therapy buy or get something that I have no idea what I will make from it. Having extra items on hand isn't necessary. Rotary blades, sewing machine needles, pins, etc. can be bought as I need them. 

    I need to put things away in their proper spots after I use them. It allows me to find them easily and keeps the clutter at bay. When I put them in a different location or they get hidden in the mess, I will go buy a new one. Being tidy and organized is key to not buying items I already have. 

    I have bought items that I haven't used much or at all. The case of the quilting rulers. I was going to learn how to use them, tried, failed, and put them away. My friend can have them or give them to someone who will use them. I have come to the conclusion I won't be free motion quilting. It isn't my thing hence why there are long arm quilters who love to do it. 

    Having projects cut out or piled to make is wonderful but I need to only have two, three max, to work on. After that, they get neglected. My brain likes to start and finish a project before moving on to the next one. I am working on how to manage that. At the moment I have piping, doll's dress, and quilt to work on. I am at the max and won't be cutting out anything else.   

    I also noticed that I want to sew now that the room is clean. I am not at my clutter threshold anymore. I am finding the room relaxing to be in. But I can't until I finish the next area. That won't take long. I also need to move items out of the room that go to the thrift store and mop the floor. Once that is done, I will start sewing again. I will need a break from cleaning as I still have the family room to do. 

Today

I have to do the balance sheet today and fold laundry. I hope to finish the sewing room and move items out into the mechanical room. I need to make sure I don't over do it as I am sore. My treat will be to make the 2nd mug rug on the embroidery machine. I will be knitting tonight. It is a stay at home day for me. 

Until the next time........................................................................

1 comment:

  1. Carol in Denver3:41 PM

    You have so many talents! I bet all this purging and cleaning is preparing the space for new ideas to flourish.

    ReplyDelete