Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Dog Quilt is Completed

 Yesterday was a mix of sun and clouds with a few drops of rain. The high got to 15.1C. This morning it is raining and 7C. We are to have showers, clouds, and sunshine with a high of 16C. 

Lifestyle

I did yoga yesterday morning and there is an improvement. A couple of moves I can move further into the stretch. That means things are relaxing and in place. Hurrah!!

I tidied up the kitchen and then made sure I had all my paperwork together for my afternoon appointment. I was free to work in the sewing room. 

My appointment went well. The bank found the missing paperwork I needed for my files. I need to get some information for them so we can proceed with my plan. I go back on Friday so we can finish what needs to be done.

Sewing

I had a busy 3 hours in the sewing room. I designed and embroidered a label for my friend. It was done and starched before lunch and left to dry while I ate. I only have a picture the design and not the completed label. 

I did the embroidery in a taupe colour thread on a light background. We try to keep the labels consistent though this one could have been done in blue fabric with dark blue embroidery. Once done, she trims the label to the size she wants and hand stitches it onto the back of the wall hanging. 

While the label was stitching out, I worked on sewing the last of the flying geese blocks together. That and fixing the last corner was done before lunch. After lunch, I added the last border and gave it a good press. 

I am very happy with it. The quilt is "square" meaning when I fold it up all the corners meet. Where blocks join, the seams match very well. Most of the corners of the geese are showing so I didn't clip very many wings (lol). 

I learned a lot while making this quilt. I wish I had starched the fabric. I like doing precise work and this was precise. I pinned the blocks together which helped with precision. I pressed a lot using steam. I did chain piecing and learned that I need to stop after doing so many blocks as my brain turns to mush. I had no negative feelings as I quietly did my own thing. Any suggestions given to me, I listened to carefully and did what needed to be done. 

I now need to press the top with spray starch to make it crisp looking. I also need to press the backing and cut it to size. Once that is done, it will be ready for the long arm quilter. 

Knitting

I worked on the hat last night and it is progressing along well. I have a minimum of 8 rounds left to knit before I start decreasing. 

Each ball of yarn will make 2 hats which is great. Once I get the next 2 completed, it will be back to knitting a pair of socks. 

Thoughts

    I am ready to start prepping another quilt. I have been doing my research on preparing the fabric. I found the cutting guide and there is a lot of leftover fabric. I need to think about this carefully. I am planning on buying two fabrics in a dark green and a dark purple. I should have enough fabrics to make the quilt with very little waste. 

    The other quilt I am going to make needs to be starched and then cut out. I need to buy a bit more fabric for it just incase I want to add a second border to it or if I want to make the border wider. I need all of the fabrics on hand as I will be starching them all at once. 

    I will be parking the car outside starting later this week. I want to clean the garage and get set up so I can start sorting items for the big garage sale later in May. If I start out sorting items into boxes, then it should be easy to price them at a later date. I also need to see if I have more items in the house to sell. 

Today

I was going to New Minas today but will be staying home. I want to clean the bathroom and then get the quilt ready to go to the long arm quilter. Once it is ready, I hope to start cleaning the sewing room before I start working on the doll's dress. I want to knit tonight. 

Until the next time..........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment