Sunday, September 25, 2022

We Are Safe

 We have had quite the weather here. Hurricane Fiona and a cold trough met and gave us one heck of a storm. The winds were something to behold and we had almost 3" of rain fall. Today it is 9C, the sun is shining and we are to warm up to 21C. 

Lifestyle

The Spousal Unit went peacefully on Wednesday. I was in Tuesday to be with him. He seemed to know who I was as he let me hold his hand and then he held mine for 90 minutes. He tried to talk to me but wasn't successful. I was back in Wednesday and sat with him until he passed away. I talked to him for the entire time and for another 30-45 minutes after he was gone. The staff was excellent with him during his stay in the hospital. They loved him dearly and listened to him chatter about what he needed to do work wise. 

All I will say about the situation is know your rights as the spouse whose loved one has Alzheimer's. It was only the day before he passed that I realized exactly what mine were. Am I bitter? No. Disappointed? Yes. But, we did what we thought was right and I'm glad we did what we did. It was done because our love for the Spousal Unit.

I spent 5 days at family's. We spent time preparing for Fiona and the damage at my house was nothing. Family had a wooden screen door damaged ("its toast" as the Spousal Unit would say), and 3 panels of the pool fence toppled into the yard and not the pool. They have a fabulous view of the field now and glass panels will be perfect when they do the repairs. For now it could be orange snow fence to keep the wildlife out of the pool this winter.

The power went out at 11 pm on Friday night and we got it  back 11 hours later. We are very fortunate to be on the hospital grid. The power crews were out as soon as it was safe and got lines fixed and power back on. My heart goes out to those communities that suffered more than we did and I hope they remain strong as they pick up their lives and move forward. Hurricane Fiona was not kind to Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland. I'm not sure of the damage in New Brunswick but they had to have some.

The garden survived the storm. The peas and beans are bent over but should be okay. The peppers and leeks are okay. A bit wind whipped but nothing like I had thought when I looked out the window at family's house and watched the wind whipping the trees around. Hopefully we will have fresh peas and beans, more peppers, and wonderful leek and potato soup later this fall. 

I had physiotherapy on Friday and boy did it hurt. All was stretching the glutes and I left that place sore, tired and a bit more limber. The storm made a lot of joints hurt but his morning I am more pain free. 

Today

I have a lot of things to do in the next 48 hours. I need to put things away that I left on the floor last night, get stuff back where it belongs as my friend and I put a lot of stuff up high in case the basement flooded. I have a couple of loads of laundry to do and by the time I get that all done, I will be tired. I still need to make lists galore, not only for what I need to do legally but what I want to do for myself. I also have physio exercises to do twice today. I'm preparing things so when I grieve I can do it without worrying about what still needs to be done. 

Until the next time..........................................................

1 comment: