Thursday, October 01, 2026

Sewing Room Cleaned and New Project Begun

 Yesterday was cloudy with a couple of showers.  We had a high of 16C. This morning it is mainly cloudy and 12C. Today is supposed to be mainly sunny and 21C. 

Lifestyle

I headed down to the sewing room first thing and spent the morning cleaning the room. It was in need of a cleaning. I put away all the thread I had been using, fabric put away neatly, and everything was cleaned. I even scrubbed the cutting mat which was quite dirty. I took the Dyson downstairs and vacuumed the floor twice as it had so much thread on it. I was pleased with how it turned out. Not perfect but a while lot cleaner. 

As I went upstairs, I could feel my creative juices flowing once again. 

I had a fairly pain free day. When I felt sore, I would straighten up, sit quietly, and relax. It really helped as I felt less pain almost immediately. I am hoping that this will continue as it feels great. 

Sewing

With my creative juices flowing I decided to tackle a new purse design from Tamara's Joy. I should have quit when the video was acting strange. It would play for 15 to 20 seconds and then go back to the start. I persisted and in my frustration I cut the lining too short. I said a few words to myself, sorted out the left over fabric. I added the left over outer fabric to the bottom. I am calling it a designer feature. I found out what I had done when I cut the interfacing 1/2" too short. That was an easy fix. 

Once the joys of the lining was fixed, I sew the lining together. It was really easy to do. Her instructions are clear and easy to follow (when the video is working properly). 

My next job was to make the pocket for the outside. I wanted to have a quilted block so decided to do a simple one that is 6.5" square when done. I had to add borders so the pocket piece was 7" wide by 7 3/4" long. I had to sew it to another piece to line it. By some miracle I got it right. 

The bottom border is wider as it needed a 1/2" seam allowance. 

I am ready to start work on the out fabric. I am planning on interfacing it with fusible fleece. That means I have to leave 2" at the top with no fusible fleece and add a strip of interfacing to it. I did this with the seagull bag. I am ready to start working on it when I have time. 

The purple fabric should have been folded in half as it will have the two print panels sewn on each end. I am hoping I have enough of the purple to cover the webbing I will use to make the handles. They will be pieced but I am okay with that. 

Knitting

I did knit 8 rows on the afghan last night. It is now almost 15" long. 

I will be done this ball of yarn in the next couple of nights. 

Thoughts

    September is done and it was a month of pain for me. Some of the pain was the weather, some was stress, and some was me doing too much. On a positive note, my hip has had very little pain since Sept. 21 which I am enjoying. 

    I have to do prep for sandwiches today and tomorrow as we make them on Saturday. I am hoping this will be it for a bit as we all need a break from it. I will be doing this on my own and am a bit nervous. I will get it done though. 

Today

I am out shopping this morning for both sandwiches and myself. Once home, I will boil the eggs and make one dressings. I hope to work on the bag this afternoon but it may not happen. Tonight I will knit on the afghan. 

Until the next time................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment