Saturday, March 23, 2024

Learning As I Go

 Though yesterday was sunny, the wind was cold. The high got to 0.3C. This morning it is clear and -6C. We are to have flurries and a high of 2C. We are under a rainfall warning for tomorrow. 

Lifestyle

I was to New Minas yesterday to grocery shop. I went alone so I could do price comparisons and see if I need to shop at other stores. I did find some items I buy cheaper at Walmart though others were the same price as the usual grocery store I shop at. I went to the grocery store to see what they have for variety vs the one in our community. It was fun to look and snoop. I did get what I needed. 

I was to the craft store and got what I needed and returned what wasn't what I needed. It was time to go home. 

Once home, I put away groceries and had lunch. I was tired so sat and rested for a while. I think I had over dressed so I would be comfortable outside but over heated in the stores. At one point, I sat in the cold car to cool off. I did get over it and was able to do things prior to going out for dinner at family's. 

I went out to check on the garlic and there are 25 plants sprouted. I covered them once again as it has been cold. I am hoping that I can uncover them this coming week as it is to be warmer. 

Dinner was great. I got caught up on all the news while we ate a delicious meal of spaghetti and meat sauce. It is nice to have a meal with them when they are so busy. After dinner I sat in the sunshine and enjoyed it. Then it was home so they could do a few things. Spring soccer season/training has started and they are busy with that. 

Sewing and Crafting

I stitched down the long seam to secure it before quilting. I realized that sewing it down first is making it go off square a bit. I should be sewing down the short seams first to secure it, then do the long seam, and finally quilt. Something to try on row 6. 

The quilt is getting heavy to handle. It has made me realize that I will be rethinking the size of quilts I make in the future when I do quilt as you go. I have not planned any more quilts other than the ones I have in the stash. I may make one more and then stop. All the ones planned are going to the long arm quilter. 

I stopped a subscription that I had bought last year. I have not looked at it for a while. Their mission is very different than mine. I do look at what they make and then adapt to what I have. There are pros and cons to their presentations but they do wonderful cut files and fonts that I have downloaded and used in the past year. 

Knitting

I did 6 or 7 rounds on the gusset and stopped. The first 10 rounds are the hardest to maneuver and I was tired enough I was having to check each row to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. 

I bought a skein of peach coloured yarn to make more hats. Yes I am crazy but they are so easy to knit. 

I will be getting the darker colour and a green later on. I need to knit up what I have bought before I do that. 

I did snoop in the stash at the sock weight yarn. I have enough yarn to make 3 pairs of socks. One pair for grandson, 1 pair for me, and 1 pair either for me or daughter-in-law. The rest of the yarn needs to be knit up for the dolls. I have some I can knit into socks if I can find it in the stores. 

Thoughts

    I am happy I took the time to do some price comparing for groceries. I will be shopping at two stores once or twice a month trying to get the best deals. The price of groceries is very expensive and I understand why people are looking for good deals. 

    The two new exercises are doing their job. Though they still hurt when doing them, I am noticing that the muscles are not as sore when I walk. It is wonderful that I can walk easier and not get tired as quickly when out and about. 

    I went back and looked at our weather around the first day of spring. We had 12" of snow fall on March 22, 2018. It snowed March 23, 2020 and March 20, 2021. Flurries March 2022 and 2023. A bit of a theme for snow falling around the arrival of spring. We did have it 17C around this time in 2021. Spring's arrival is crazy in Nova Scotia. We survive whatever weather is flung our way. 

Today

I am going to do yoga and exercises this morning first and then do housework. This afternoon I am going to quilt. If time, I want to look at how the gusset is put into the doll's chemise. I will knit tonight. I am staying home today. 

Until the next time....................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment