Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Tea Towel Topper Pattern

Here is how I made the towel toppers for a Christmas gift. I like them enough I will be doing more. 

What You Need

2 sheets of 8.5" paper and a piece of tracing pellon
Paper tape (I buy this in the band aid aisle)
Frixon Pen (blue but test to see if it leaves a mark on your fabric - the mark will be white)
.6 (24") of cotton fabric
Interfacing (I forgot to measure) I used Pellon SP 101(cotton fusible)
4 dish clothes (14"x14")
I bought these as they are the same weight as the tea towels. 

Pattern

I made the pattern using an idea from a gifted tea towel. It isn't too hard. You will need 2 sheets of 8.5"x11" paper and tracing pellon.
  • On both pieces paper, mark the center (4.25") and draw a line up 9" long.
  • On each side of the center line, mark 3" and draw a line up 7 3/4".
  • At the top, join the side lines to the center line to have a roof shape.
  • Cut out both topper pieces. Cut one down the center line. These will be tapped to the sides of the full piece to have this shape.
  • Lay the paper pattern onto the tracing pellon and tape in place. I did it at the top and bottom
  • Add seam allowances. Mine are 3.8" which is perfect for me. 

Preparing The Fabric

  • I washed and pressed the fabric. Lay the pattern onto the fabric so you can cut out 4 pieces. I left enough on the sides to use for bands on other tea towels. Cut out.
  • Cut out interfacing. 
  • Press onto the cotton.

Preparing The Tea Towels

  • Press the tea towels or dish cloths to remove all wrinkles.
  • Cut off the hemmed part of the dish cloth. If using a tea towel cut it so it measures 13.5".
  • Using a removable marker (I use a blue Frixon pen) draw a line down the center and then 3" on either side. I did a scant 3" due to the bulk of the towel to be put into the holder. Do this on the wrong side of the towel. 
  • Fold the outer line to the center line and pin. Fold back and excess. Do the other side. 
  • Do a narrow zig zag stitch across the top to hold in place and press well. 

Sewing the Topper

All seams are 3/8". I used a scant 3/8" which gives me just over 6" on the bottom opening when done. 
  • Machine baste 3/8" on the bottom of the topper. This will be turned up later. 
  • Sew the side seam and press open.
  • Turn up the hem on the bottom edge and press in place. 
  • Fold the bottom edge at the seam line to find the center fold line. Put a pin in to mark it. 

  •  Match the center back seam to the center front pin and pin or clip in place.
  • Match the back seam to the point at the top. Pin the seams 
  • Stitch and trim the seams.
  • Turn right side out, work until seams are sharp and press well. 
  • With the right side up and the point facing you, measure 3" in from the left edge. Draw a line. Measure up 1 1/16" up from the point and draw another line horizontally. 
  • Make a button hole that is larger than your button. My buttons are 20 cm and I am going to buy smaller ones as the fit is too tight. Fray Check button holes and when dry, cut open
  • Take the towel and lay right side up. With the topper seam side up, slip the towel into the opening. I tried to get a good 1/2" of the towel into the opening. Pin in place.
  • Lengthen your stitch length (mine is 3.0) and sew two rows of the stitching along the edge of the topper. My first row is about 1/8" and the second row is a scant 1/4".
  • Sew your button so the holes are on the seam and the bottom of the button is at the bottom of the topper. I only sewed through one layer so no threads showed on the other side. 
  • Close the topper and the seam is hidden. 
Make as many as you want. I made 4 as that was how many dishcloths were in the package. 

No comments:

Post a Comment