Tuesday, August 11, 2015

One Owly Cat

Yesterday was another warm day with a high of 31.7C or 88F. It is the start of three hot days which gives us a cooler weekend. Last night was warm so we didn’t cool off.


We were both tired yesterday and had to kick-start ourselves to get some jobs done. Add to the slow start one owly cat to put you into a fowl mood.


This sweet looking fellow bit me twice yesterday which garnered a good spanking. That in turn set him off running around, growling, and being truly naughty. In the course of 45 minutes he was the most wicked cat known. At that point, he crawled up onto the guest bed and slept under the quilt for 3.5 hours. Elliott hasn’t had a day like this for a long time and he doesn’t like to be disciplined when he is in that mood.

While Elliott was sleeping and the Spousal Unit was out to a couple of stores, I decided to clean our bedroom. I laundered the bedding, swept the floor, dusted, and mopped. We are still sweeping up the previous owner’s pet hair and are not sure where it is coming from. I have swept and washed every floor in this house. The dust is a fine layer of dirt on everything; it comes off brown. It is done and the room smelled clean and fresh.

When done, I started to haul boxes out of the sewing room and stack them in our bedroom. I am preparing to paint the room when I have to wait to finish up the basement. There will be a time of waiting, rest assured.


The sewing room looks sparse but there is still items to be removed and stored. I am thinking some of it will go into the guest room. The rest will be moved around as I paint.


At this point of the game, I hustled outside to paint the fireplace mantle. I also painted a row of bricks the dark brown on the fireplace. The goal was to have the fireplace look finished at the end of the day.

After lunch, we turned our attention to the basement. While I washed walls, dismantled the front entry closet, and scrubbed doors, the Spousal Unit started to put the kitchen cabinets together. Elliott had returned to the land of the living in a better mood and supervised what we were doing. On the third box, we stopped working and returned that cabinet. Someone had bought that cabinet, started to put it together, wrecked it, returned it. We bought it. We got a new one. On the way home we had ice cream as we had accomplished more than we thought we would.

The mantle went on the fireplace before supper. It is screwed in place and we need to do a bit of filling and painting so the top is nice and smooth.


There is cove trim to go down the sides of the fireplace and they will be painted the wall colour. More cove will be painted the dark brown to go around the floor. Love how this looks though. Just enough contrast in colours to look good.

By the end of the day, we were laughing. The fowl mood had disappeared. We were tired but we had survived the day. We ended our day with a lovely Skype visit with our grandson. He was a bit off due to the fact he was having low blood sugar. He is counting the days until they fly to Uruguay next Monday.

Today, I hope to do a bit more cleaning upstairs and then finish washing walls downstairs. The area I am working on should be done by the end of the weekend if all goes well. I am hoping the Spousal Unit will put the baseboard on the living room and I know he will work on building the cabinets. Another busy day.

Until tomorrow………………………….

1 comment:

  1. I like your comments and pics of Elliott even if he is being a naughty boy....lol. I guess cats get in bad moods just like we do. Seems like the long nap settled him down.