Sunday, August 30, 2015

Knit Then Unknit

Yesterday was an day of unusual weather. We had some wind with very fast upper winds which caused the clouds to go by quickly. We had a few showers in the morning which gave us very little rainfall but you could feel the dampness on your skin. The smoke was quite thick when we woke up but it was gone by noon but back again in the afternoon.

Lifestyle

The first job of the morning was to prime the green walls in the kitchen. They were done by 11:00 and the room looks so much brighter. The first coat of primer is the hardest to put on when covering a bright colour.

017

The white primer made the room bright when it was dark and dull outside. I cleaned up and, to my horror this morning, I found I hadn’t put the lid on the primer can. I had run out to put the second coat of paint on the trim and forgot that one step. Too much on my mind and talking to the Spousal Unit.

Part of the afternoon was spent cleaning the kitchen. Though not really dirty, I wanted to wipe down the cupboards and appliances and do a general tidy up. It felt good to have it done.

Spoilt pampered Elliott was in a miserable mood last night. He sat on the end table touching the Spousal Unit’s arm with his paw wanting more food in his dish. No response. He finally bit the Spousal Unit. I fed him. Then he laid between us with a full belly and he bit me twice for petting him. Unfortunately for him, he got disciplined for that. He is sort of avoiding me at the moment.

Knitting

I cast on the first mitten just before lunch. I followed the directions carefully as I want to understand the pattern in general. I am also making notes as what to do differently for our grandson’s mittens.

001

The first change I plan on making is in the ribbing. When you cast on your stitches and join to the round, you purl the first stitch, then knit 3 stitches, purl 1 stitch and continue 1 x 1 ribbing to the end of the round. You repeat that for the number of rows for the cuff. That little knit 3 at the beginning is for the gusset. My question was why in the ribbing? 

The second change I will make is the length of the cuff. I hate short cuffs on mittens. I would say the cuff for the child’s mitten is about 2” or less and I like 3” or a bit more. That will be done on this version as the only change to the pattern.

I knit on the mitten in my spare time. The gusset for the thumb was put on waste yarn and I cast on the three stitches to replace the three you started out with for the gusset. I knit four more rows and admired my work. No laddering at the end of the needles as I walk the stitches around the needles. Wait! What is that “laddering” by the gusset but down many rows? Drat, it was a dropped stitch. This was my knitting at 7 p.m.

004

I sat for 15 to 20 minutes thinking about the mittens. I dug out larger needles. I went from a 4.0 mm to a 4.5mm as I thought the tension was a bit tight. I cast on again and started the ribbing.

016

I kept the 3 knit stitches in the ribbing to see what it looks like in the end. I won’t be doing the pattern on the hand of the mitten. It will be a plain knit mitten. The purls and ribbing in the hand is nice but this is a prototype.

Today I have to put the second coat of primer on the kitchen walls even if I have to strain the primer. We have to go grocery shopping and get more painting supplies. I hope to knit on the mitten also.

Until tomorrow…………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment